Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > one gallon aeration.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
Fireman-Mike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default one gallon aeration.

Just bottled my first batch today and plan on brewing my second tomorrow. My question is how long should i run a fish tank pump in my one gallon fermentation jug? Ive got a stainless steel diffuser and a .5 micron filter. Ive read that 15-20 minutes is enough but didnt know if the time was different for a one gallon batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 03:38 AM   #2
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I wouldn't even bother using the aquarium pump. Sanitize a small piece of plastic wrap, cover up the hole and shake that SOB for a minute or two. Works perfectly for me.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #3
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 28

With normal air it is nearly to totally impossible to over aerate. For my 1.5 gal batches I aerate for 10-15 minutes while I am cleaning up. My 3-5 gal batches I clean up and eat so maybe 30 minutes.

Primary: Chesterfield wild(1 gal),
Bottled: SMASH, Chesterfield Wild, Summer In Sommelsdijk, Dog Days Saison
Up coming beers: schipluyden.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
TheBeerist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG View Post
I wouldn't even bother using the aquarium pump. Sanitize a small piece of plastic wrap, cover up the hole and shake that SOB for a minute or two. Works perfectly for me.
I agree with this, as long as you're not brewing high gravity beers. Cap it, shake it, call it a day.

While yes, it's probably impossible to over aerate with a stone, I would worry that the longer you pump air into your wort, the more chance you have of pumping something bad in and getting a secondary infection. The risks (and the hassle) far outweigh the benefits.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

to aerate one gallon of wort, simply shake the snot out of the carboy before you put the yeast in.

any more than that is a waste of effort.

i brew exclusively one gallon batches, in carboys, and what i do is pour about half the wort into the carboy, and shake the stuffing out of it for a couple minutes, then pour the rest in and repeat.

then i pitch the yeast, and give it a couple gentle shakes to get mixed properly, put in the blow-off, and wait about 4 - 5 hours for the fun to start.

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Quick Reply