Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Which one??? brew pot question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 05:05 AM   #1
speedyG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

Default Which one??? brew pot question

I have to still brew my first beer. Ive done cider but not beer yet. I'm buying the equipment slowly...Keep myself under control. I plan on brewing extract for several brews until I'm ready for full grain

This is the one I'm thinking. I feel it could be used all the way into a full grain set up.

http://www.homebrewstuff.com/8-gal-w...ermometer.html

This one would work just fine for the boil and would I need to buy another pot if I bought this one?

http://www.homebrewstuff.com/8-gallo...ew-kettle.html

Your honest feedback would be GREATLY apprecated. I hope I'm not over thinking it but most likely.

Speedy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 15

depends on if you ever plan to start brewing 10 gallon batches. nice kettle, but wouldn't work as a brew kettle for 10 gallons, but could be used for strike water for it. if you can afford it ( always a brewer's consideration ), and want it, go for it

Taps:
1: Pilsen Ale (Pilsner made with US05)
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Hefeweizen
4: Hoegarden Saison
5: English Mild

Old 01-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #3
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 19

A better deal

9 Gallon for 70, you just get your own close nipple, ball valve and screen. You can get those off brewershardware for cheap with fast shipping. I ended up getting the 9 gallon kettle with screen, 2 part SS ball valve and nipple for like 110 total after shipping.

http://www.homebrewing.org/One-Weld-...ot_p_1683.html

They have a 2 port version as well if you really want a thermometer although IMO thats pointless for a AG boil kettle unless your doing BIAB, as well as a 8 gallon pot for half the price of that unported one.

A list of all their stuff
http://www.homebrewing.org/Brew-Pots_c_79.html

Not only that, but that site lists yours as "heavy duty" at 1.2mm, which is 18 gauge...so they are identical thicknesses metal wise...

I'd go with a 9 gallon personally, 8 gallons works for standard 5 gallon 60 minute boils...but if you ever do a pils and need to do that 90 minute boil you need like 7.5-8 gallons of water in your pot...8 just isnt big enough.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
Friedclutch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Been brewing for 6 months. I am so glad I got an 8 gallon kettle from the get go. I find I am always doing 6 to 6.5 gallon batches. I want my 5 whole gallons when its all done and said! At least get a ball valve if you can afford it.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #5
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Yes, go big or go home.
Soon you will be doing all grain, so even at only 5 gallon batches, you'll need 8 or 9 gallons of usable space.
You may want to think about a keggle. Find a used one on craigslist already cut and set up with a valve.

Keg #1: Brown Bomber Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Keg #2: Lawnmower APA
Fermenter #1 The Bollocks ESB
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Figure twice your batch size...you can get by with the 8 if you use Fermcap and stick to beers under 1.050....and the 90 min Pils boil was a very good point. I brew almost exclusively with Pils and my preboil volume is 7.5-8 gallons depending on the recipe.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 01-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #7
speedyG
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

So, if I have paid attention here, a 10 Gallon pot, add the fitting when I'm ready. Does that sound about right? I plan on five gallon brews for quite awhile.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:57 AM   #8
77punx
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-...+gallon+kettle

15.5 gallon kettle for $116 free shipping. They make a false bottom for it also if you want to use it as a direct fired mash one day too!

Old 01-09-2013, 03:54 AM   #9
hinkle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77punx View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-...+gallon+kettle

15.5 gallon kettle for $116 free shipping. They make a false bottom for it also if you want to use it as a direct fired mash one day too!
I use the bayou 44 quart version of this one my glass flat top electric stove and do full 6 gallon extract boils (on my second batch now so I'm still a n00b). My handles were welded not riveted like some people complain about. Check with the seller if you can. I'm not amazon suave.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:22 AM   #10
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 54

If you are considering spending $170 on a kettle, go for 10 gallons stainless and at least one port and be done.

$69 for a 9 gal SS with a port is a very good deal. A weldless bulkhead costs $10-$25 in 2013, or $36 with a valve and barb. A decent 9 gallon pot is close to $40 or $60 in aluminum, not SS. So $70 for stainless 9 gallon with a port is great.

I am a noob. I use an 8 gal tamale pot and fitted my own weldless bulkhead, ball valve, and pickup tube. The 8 gal is just barely big enough for BIAB all-grain, and I add makeup water for the boil. I don't think it will work for a "big" beer. The pot was $30 and the fittings were another $30. The pot is Al so I chose SS fittings instead of brass to prevent any chance of galvanic corrosion.

What is your heat source? If you will use propane, no problem with 10 gallons. If you use an electric glass top range like me, consider wrapping the kettle with insulation like Reflectix (search the forumns). I wrap my kettle with an old puffy blanket, cut and sewn to fit the pot. insulation on top helps quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
A better deal
9 Gallon for 70, you just get your own close nipple, ball valve and screen. You can get those off brewershardware for cheap with fast shipping. I ended up getting the 9 gallon kettle with screen, 2 part SS ball valve and nipple for like 110 total after shipping.

http://www.homebrewing.org/One-Weld-...ot_p_1683.html

They have a 2 port version as well if you really want a thermometer although IMO thats pointless for a AG boil kettle unless your doing BIAB, as well as a 8 gallon pot for half the price of that unported one.

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Quick Reply