Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > once sanitized, always sanitized?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
DontDrinkAndDrum
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default once sanitized, always sanitized?

my question is this...if I sanitized something (i.e. hydrometer, carboy, whatever...) used it, and then rinse it out very well or rinse off whatever gets on said item, is there any need to sanitize it again?

also, if I store my carboy upside down while all the rinse water drains out of it, will it stay sanitary?

oh and if i sanitize something days before I know i'm gonna use it (i.e. sanitizing tubing as long as i've got a batch of Easy Clean mixed up) is it going to stay sanitary?

Drinking: Nothing yet....waaaah.
On Deck: thinking of a Hard Apple Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
Brewsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Depends. I've seen suggestions from people, including great brewers like John Palmer from howtobrew.com say that bottles sanitized and then covered with sanitized aluminium foil will stay sanitized until you need them. I keep my carboys with star san solution in them and then just drain it out when I need it. I pour it into another carboy, and that one is ready to go too. Star san can be reused. Idophor solution can't be kept for long periods of time. It loses it's sanitizing power after a few days.

The short answer, I probably can be done, but I wouldn't just trust that some container is perfectly sanitiary if air could get in over a long period of time. I know the star san is still good, and the carboys only get drained when I need them.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply