Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Olive Oil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Olive Oil?

I read about using EVOO in the Wort rather than aerating before fermentation. I did a search here and it looks like it was discussed at one time but all the information is "dated."

Is the Olive Oil a good idea or bad? Anybody still do it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #2
tdavisii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There was a recent thread on this. On a large scale its worth doing but on a small scale its very impractical.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:19 PM   #3
Bigsnake
Recipes 

I read about this in another thread and was thinking of making a small extra bottle of wort next time I do a starter batch and trying not to aerate it at all and trying olive oil in it and seeing how it goes.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #4
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

Do NOT put olive oil in your wort!

In short, this was a test done to test the effects on yeast cell production if put in olive oil prior to pitching. This was to be done in lieu of oxygenation. I don't remember the exact science behind it. The experiment was done in a large scale brewery. It is probably aplicable when dealing with large amounts of wort and large amounts of yeast. Not so much for us.

I think several people have tried it and said its not worth the effort.

Once again, the olive oil does NOT go into the wort. You will ruin your beer.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #5
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
You will ruin your beer.
False. I just put 20 microliters in 5 gallons, had an extremely vigorous fermentation, and my beer tastes fine. At that concentration, you won't harm the yeast, and I can wholeheartedly assure you that there's absolutely no way you would ever be able to taste 20 uL in 5 gallons...ever.

It did a good job I guess. Will I do it again? Probably not, because it's too much trouble for me to get my digital pipette out, put on a fresh tip, blah blah blah.

Primary: star thistle traditional mead
Secondary: mango melomel, Biere de Garde, dark strong braggot, oud bruin, Paulaner clone, coffee RIS
Bottled: rye wit, sticke alt, Graetzer, Apfelwein, zeus SMaSH, APA

Old 09-28-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post

In short, this was a test done to test the effects on yeast cell production if put in olive oil prior to pitching. This was to be done in lieu of oxygenation. I don't remember the exact science behind it. The experiment was done in a large scale brewery. It is probably aplicable when dealing with large amounts of wort and large amounts of yeast. Not so much for us.

+1

Several people have ruined there beer on here...Why? Because they didn't understand the principles of brewing to begin with...

one person on here even thought "Well if one drop works, a tablespoon must work better." AND this was their first batch.

My take on this is that if you don't have several batches under your belt, and understand brewing the "normal" way, understand the science of brewing and have your process nailed down solid...you really need to work on that stuff long before you start fraking around with experiments and theories like these, especially when the conclusion by the experts is that it pretty much not worth doing even on a commercial scale and is not really that transferable to small batches either...

If you are worried about not introducing enough O2 before you pitch your yeast. Get a welder's oxygen bottle for 10 bucks at the hardware store, and oreder an airstone oxygenation system from your lhbs...

2 minutes abd you are fine...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-29-2008, 01:55 AM   #7
RonRock
Always Ready
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds like the safe thing to do. That's what I'll do.

Thanks,
Ron

Old 09-29-2008, 02:01 AM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post

ummm. mine turned out great.

I stripped one of those bread twisty ties down to the bare wire...about a 1/2 inch. Dipped it into some EVOO and swirled it into the wort. I repeated for the second 5-gallon bucket (This was a 10-gallon batch).

Fermentation was rapid, vigorous and thorough.

The problem for most people is they cannot conceive of how little is needed to do the job. A drop is too much. A teaspoon is just killing your beer.

Dip a very thin wire about 1/4-1/2 inch into the oil and then dip it into you wort.

You will not ruin your beer.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 09-29-2008, 02:03 AM   #9
jtvinny

Recipes 

Default Heard about it on a podcast

I can't remember off the top of my head but I think it was brewcrazy. Ok so it was Brewcrazy show 34 and i think they said that they would add a drop to a gallon of boiling water to break that drop up. They added a few drop from that gallon to their starter so that the yeast cells had strong cell walls and would be able to reproduce more efficiently IIRC. Check it out for yourself. Brew CrAzY Show List - Beer Podcast - Brewcast - Beercast - Webcast

Definition of an Irishman: "a complex mechanism for turning Guinness into urine." - The Stout Book by Brendan O'Brien

Old 09-29-2008, 02:12 AM   #10
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

there was an article on this in BYO earlier this summer iirc it was reccomending the wire film in your starter only not your wort. icbw tho : still to much trouble for me

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Quick Reply