Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Old label removal?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Riever
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Old label removal?

OK. My friends have asked me why I don't take the old labels off the bottles and put my own on. This seems like an easy question, but the answer is difficult. How in the heck do you get the old labels off?! Darn commercial brewers must be using guerrilla glue to stick them on! Tried soaking, but it just turns out messy.

"God created beer because he loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
tetrylone
Recipes 

Here's the best trick ever: Buy some steel scrubbies, not steel wool but the thick kind of steel scrubbies. Wet the label, scrub it for a few seconds with the scrubbie, let sit for about thirty seconds and then hit it with the scrubbie again and the labels come right off no prob. Also, as you drink the beers, take the labels off. Don't just set them aside until you take the labels of 60 in one sitting. This also makes it easier.

-Tetrylone

?~?Que?~?

Old 10-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

OXYCLEAN! All the way FTW!

Get a tub/box of the unscented stuff, put a few cups of it in a bathtub with HOT water, fill the bottles with water and let em soak for 24-48 hours. The labels will fall off! Well, except for a few brewers labels.

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 10-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
DNW
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I fill my sink with hot water and oxyclean. Fill it with bottles (let the bottles fill with water so they sink) and let them soak for 20-30 minutes. The labels and glue that don't fall off come off easily with a scotch-brite type pad.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
permo
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrylone View Post
Here's the best trick ever: Buy some steel scrubbies, not steel wool but the thick kind of steel scrubbies. Wet the label, scrub it for a few seconds with the scrubbie, let sit for about thirty seconds and then hit it with the scrubbie again and the labels come right off no prob. Also, as you drink the beers, take the labels off. Don't just set them aside until you take the labels of 60 in one sitting. This also makes it easier.

SOS pads or whatever they are called, work wonders. I do some sanitization right off the bat too. If have people over or am drinking some beers I will either fill my sink or a five gallon pail with water mixed with a little bleach. I throw the bottles in after I drink them and clean them all at the end of the night.

Soaking the bottles really loosens the labels, peel off as much as you can and then get some very hot water running over the bottle to loosen the glue, keep the bottle wet and scrub with soapy steel pad like explained above.

I did over 150 bottles in the last two weeks this way. You get to drink beer and you get to keep the bottles!

Old 10-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
Buffman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN51277 View Post
OXYCLEAN! All the way FTW!

Get a tub/box of the unscented stuff, put a few cups of it in a bathtub with HOT water, fill the bottles with water and let em soak for 24-48 hours. The labels will fall off! Well, except for a few brewers labels.
+1. Amazingly effective.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I just soak the bottles in hot water for a few minutes, the labels then peel off fairly easily. I then use a steel wool type scrubber that is usually used for cleaning grills to remove the remaining glue and paper.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
Riever
Recipes 

Thanks guys! That's great stuff! I never would have thought of using Oxyclean.

"God created beer because he loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
riverfrontbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

And after all of this work getting labels off is exactly the reason that I don't put my own labels on! I use standard mailing labels to make up labels for the caps, so I know whats in there and when it was bottled.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
forcera
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riever View Post
How in the heck do you get the old labels off?! Darn commercial brewers must be using guerrilla glue to stick them on!
Drink European beers. They use a different type of glue and if you let it soak for even just a few minutes in water the labels come right off, no scrubbing at all. I just spin the bottle around in the water and it comes right off.

I save the lables for my brewing book. I keep all of the recepies/notes in a binder. The last couple pages have the labels glued to them with notes about the beer.

Listening to a person that brews their own beer is like listening to a religious fanatic talk about the day he saw the light
- Ross Murray

In Alabama there is no beer, thats why we brew it here
-Kim & SunAe Thomson, owners of Alabrew Homebrewing Supplies, Birmingham's one and only homebrewing store

Alvin Holmes, Alabama House of Representatives, on Beer

Quick Reply