Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Old, cheap kit....worth using?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010, 03:45 AM   #1
maddprofessor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Old, cheap kit....worth using?

I have an old "Vino-Create Your Own Beer" kit that my brother bought at a thrift store. The yeast in it expired a year ago so it's pretty old I guess. I've never made beer before (so far my experience is just cider). Do you think it would be worth it to make beer with the kit? Or will it just taste horrible and be a waste of time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Is the malt extract dry or liquid? Dry extract will stay good far longer than liquid.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 07-24-2010, 04:00 AM   #3
maddprofessor
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
Is the malt extract dry or liquid? Dry extract will stay good far longer than liquid.
It's labeled "Amber Dry Malt" but looks like a solidified liquid. (sorry..total beer noob here)

Last edited by maddprofessor; 07-24-2010 at 04:02 AM.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:17 AM   #4
dummkauf
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

The extract may be good if it's "dry extract" and not "liquid extract", but the yeast should go in the trash and if there are any hops I'd say trash them too if they are over a year old as well. You should be able to get fresh hops and yeast from any brew shop, or online, for about $10.

What type of equipment is in the kit? I'd personally not even risk the extract, and if you have all the equipment to brew, just go buy an extract kit and start with that. Just my $0.02

Old 07-24-2010, 04:32 AM   #5
maddprofessor
Recipes 

I don't have any brewing equipment yet (except what is in this kit). My cider uses a fancy pants balloon for an airlock ;-)

The kit has a collapsible cube with an airlock (that fits into the screw cap that goes on the cube), plastic screw cap bottles, and a tube for siphoning. I suppose if nothing else I can make use of the bottles and dextrose.

I live in a small apt. and am a poor grad student so I haven't made the leap yet to get into beer brewing but we do have what seems like a pretty good home brew store.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:47 AM   #6
dummkauf
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

How big is the cube(gallons?)? If you have a big enough pot to boil 3-4 gallons of water, you could easily do a partial boil extract and ferment it in the cube if it's big enough. In which case just get an extract kit from your local brew shop and you're good to go.

Edit: Not sure how tight of a budget you are on, but you can get a brew setup for less than $100. Midwest sells a basic kit with buckets for $59(http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewi...pment-kit.html), that would atleast get you going if you wanted to get into beer brewing, though that kit assumes you have a pot to do the boiling in.

Last edited by dummkauf; 07-24-2010 at 05:49 AM.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:52 AM   #7
maddprofessor
Recipes 

The cube is 1 gallon.

Quick Reply