Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Oktoberfest questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
Jrbetz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oktoberfest questions

I'm looking for a good Oktoberfest extract recipe... Anyone have any good recipes , ideas or experience? I want to take on a challenge for myself

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrbetz View Post
I'm looking for a good Oktoberfest extract recipe... Anyone have any good recipes , ideas or experience? I want to take on a challenge for myself
I've had quite a few oktoberfest 'marzen' lagers recently and have prepped myself for the eventual lager.....

most people don't do lagers until they have some experience and temperature control for the yeast....

besides this I think it should be straight forward..

looking forward to the developments of this thread.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1287 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Just remember it is a lager, and control temperatures accordingly. Ask me how I know. Yuck.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
carsonwarstler
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrbetz
Do you have the ability to ferment at 50 degrees? And the ability to lager around 33-34 (basically room in a fridge) for a couple months?

I brewed my first one with great results but it was all grain. I'm sure we could do some translating and get something going with extract as well.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Jrbetz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsonwarstler View Post

Do you have the ability to ferment at 50 degrees? And the ability to lager around 33-34 (basically room in a fridge) for a couple months?

I brewed my first one with great results but it was all grain. I'm sure we could do some translating and get something going with extract as well.
Yes I do have the ability for both fermenting at 50 and to lager.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 326

make yourself a nice big starter, ferment at 50 for two weeks, then lager for a while. secondary for the lagering period if you want to. nothing to it.

на здравје!

Old 12-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #7
carsonwarstler
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know what kind of extract you can get your hands on, but you could use some Vienna, Munich, and biscuit malts to flavor it up. I don't remember exactly my grain bill but I think it was half Vienna half Munich as the base. With a touch of pilsner malt, and some darker Munich, and maybe a little biscuit. Stick to noble hops and pitch a really nice size starter, or make a starter, cool for a couple days then decant so you don't end up with 3 liters extra in your wort. Also the White labs Oktoberfest yeast worked great... Do some mr malty calculations for your starter and you're all set. Best beer I've made so far... Did 3 weeks at 50f and then 8 weeks lagering in a secondary.

Quick Reply