Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Oktoberfest "hoppiness"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
cees2u
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oktoberfest "hoppiness"

I am a second round brewer and my AHS Oktoberfest/Marzen is currently bottle conditioning. It has been in the bottles for 19 days now. As any good home brewer would I cheated today and gave one a try.

When I tried it, I was quite disappointed. I was expecting something similar to the Paulaner Oktoberfest, but what I got was something close to the taste of the Oktoberfest, with the hop profile of an IPA. Will this settle down with time, or is it how it will be?

After tasting the abundance of hop taste, I remembered the one screw up I had while brewing. I was supposed to add a half oz of hops at 45 minutes and the other half at 55 minutes. I accidentally added most of the ounce at 45. Does this explain the extra hop taste?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What kinds of hops did you use? You did a 55min addition and a 45min addition? Or do you mean 1/2oz for 15 min and 1/2oz for 5min?

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 11-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
cees2u
Recipes 

Yes, I meant the 15 and 5 minute. The hops were Pearle and Hallertau. I honestly don't remember which was which, but one of the types went in pretty early in the brew and the other was half for 15 half for 5.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
BattleGoat
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hop character will apparently age out a bit with time. I'd let it sit for at least another couple weeks and see where it was at then.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I assume this kit is an Oktoberfest Ale, right...as in it came with ale yeast?

A true Oktoberfest is a lager, so you aren't going to match the Paulander style without using a lager yeast, properly maintaining lager fermentation temps (high 40s/low 50s), then lagering the beer in the low 30s for a good 8-12 weeks.

The ale versions get the malt character right, but you miss out on the yeast character and crispness of a true lagered Oktoberfest.

As far as the hops, those are low AA noble hops that don't add that much bitterness anyway, let alone as 15 and 5 min additions. The small error you made may have added 2-3% more IBUs to the brew, but it would be pretty negligable, and probably not even perceivable in the taste. Unless you did something else that you're not thinking of, that's pretty much how hoppy the beer was supposed to be.

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 11-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
Euripidez
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Guess you have to call it hoptoberfest!

Old 11-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
jsv1204
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The hop charge doesn't seem like its too high to me. You added a lot of hop bitterness by boiling the whole charge that long - that is probably your culprit.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
cees2u
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
I assume this kit is an Oktoberfest Ale, right...as in it came with ale yeast?

A true Oktoberfest is a lager, so you aren't going to match the Paulander style without using a lager yeast, properly maintaining lager fermentation temps (high 40s/low 50s), then lagering the beer in the low 30s for a good 8-12 weeks.

The ale versions get the malt character right, but you miss out on the yeast character and crispness of a true lagered Oktoberfest.
Yes, it was supposed to be a lager, but since I don't have currently have laagering capabilities, I used the ale yeast.

As for the hops, I guess I'll just wait it out and see what the final result will be.

Quick Reply