Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Okay, so I want to make a beer.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #51
flabyboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

You need a pretty powerful burner on your stove to get a good boil. I would also suggest an outdoor propane burner and pot. I use a turkey fryer. Gets 8-9 gallons up to a boil in 20 mins or so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #52
Tubba
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoungrad View Post
If it was stable for a few days then bottle bombs should not be an issue - I did not understand this from what you said above.

But you should know that predicted FGs can be way off and until you fine tune your set-up with particular regard also to yeast strain and ingredients, you should never rely on a predicted FG to tell you a batch is done fermenting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr1111 View Post
This. Don't use Beersmith's predicted FG, it frankly blows and doesn't take into account mash temp, use of extract, etc. Even the yeasts attenuation rates are often screwy.

If you really want to know in advance your FG, you have to do a fast ferment: you take a small portion of wort, overpitch, ferment high and check the gravity of that after a few days. And even this test isn't always accurate because your real fermentation could very well attenuate less because you haven't overpitched or fermented high. It's more a measure of the overall fermentable sugars in the wort than a be all end all prediction of FG. FG stability for an extended period of time is pretty much the only way to know for sure the beer is done.
Thanks!

I don't like your fashion business, mister. And I don't like these drugs that keep you thin.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #53
Tubba
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I opened my second today. The cork flew off when I did - luckily it was in a swing top bottle.

I left it in the fridge for a while this time. I noticed that there was some sediment suspended in the bottom quarter or so, that seemed to ruin the colour. I think leaving it in the fridge for 24 hours before opening will help.

It had a HUGE head when I poured it, almost like a weissbier, but poor retention - I understand that has as much to do with the prevalence of polypeptides as carbonation, though. Once I had checked a couple of things the head was gone. Carbonation level is good enough for this kind of ale, and I think it'll get perfect in another week.

Taste is still "green", but much less so. The hops character is very dominant, with almost no maltyness at all. I'll try to get less yeast along in another week. It's really fun to see how good it has turned out!

I don't like your fashion business, mister. And I don't like these drugs that keep you thin.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #54
Tubba
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Opened a third today.

Mm! What an improvement. Now it actually tastes malt and hops like I'm used to. It's both hoppy and malty at the same time - before the hops were entirely dominant, and I think I made it a bit stronger than I intended to by not quite adding enough water.

Anyway, it's a definitive success!

Old 09-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #55
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1909 Times on 1680 Posts
Likes Given: 1414

It sounds like yo chilled them less than 24 hours.? Leave them in the fridge for at least 5 days,& they'll be way better. I found that 2 weeks in the fridge gives a head like meringue & very good carbonation. A few hours chilling is not enough to get the gas into solution like 5 to 14 days will. I think that sediment in the bottom quarter of the bottle you referred to was the chill haze. It settles out toward the bottom of the bottle,looking much like a fog.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #56
Tubba
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I chilled for about 24 hours. I'll put a bunch of more bottles in there tomorrow, then, (and try not to drink them up too quickly.)

Old 09-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #57
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1909 Times on 1680 Posts
Likes Given: 1414

Give'em at least 5 days,& you'll start to see the difference. Even my Whiskely Ale finally had good head & carbonation after 2 weeks in the fridge. It sat conditioning for some 9 weeks & 6 days before 2 weeks in the fridge for that result. So patience,once again,is indeed a virtue.

Quick Reply