HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Okay, so I want to make a beer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
Tubba
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How 'bout this

I looked at the first recipe suggested here (solely from extract): http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter1-1.html and I thought that if I scale it down to 2/3, I have the necessary equipment as far as boiling goes.

That would make 3.3 gallons of beer, which is still a lot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones

Recipes 

Liked 1656 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

You're going to need better bottles bigger than the two 5G ones you have. That's if you're ever going to do a 5G batch. Then you'll need something in the range of 6.5-7G for the needed head space.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
Tubba
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Actually, they're 6-gallon. I found an online ad for someone selling damejeannes and brewery bottles very close to me. A... tad on the expensive side, but probably negotiable. Dunno size and condition yet, they forgot to include pictures of it... Sent them an e-mail, anyway.

Also, I have two BB:s and some smaller glass jugs, nothing preventing me from using two vessels besides the hassle.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I do smaller batches all the time. If you are the only one drinking it and the whole neighborhood doesn't join in everytime you bottle something, 3.5 gallon batches are fine. You just have to brew a bit more often, which can be an inconvenience.

BTW, I BIAB exclusively and I can attest that 12-13 lbs of grain is the maximum without getting into crazy winches and stuff like that. You can always dunk sparge if your kettle cannot contain all the necessary water for the whole batch.

Don't forget you can use ale pails too. At 10$ a pop (for the pricy ones) they simply cannot be beat.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #15
Tubba
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, for my primary fermentation I use a 30l plastic bucket. Damejeannes are mostly for bulk storage (they're nice to look at), so perhaps size isn't much of an issue.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:13 PM   #16
jfr1111
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubba View Post
Yeah, for my primary fermentation I use a 30l plastic bucket. Damejeannes are mostly for bulk storage (they're nice to look at), so perhaps size isn't much of an issue.
Yeah, unless you are planning on high gravity ales from the get go, bulk storage isn't a necessary thing to think about right from the beginning. Most ales do fine with a primary only schedule. With beers, 99% of the manipulations happen before the wort goes into the primary vessel, which is the complete opposite of wine, where you have to rack and fuss about with secondaries for months.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #17
Tubba
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Indeed. I do make wine as well, so a damejeanne or two will surely come in handy at some time anyway.

So, where was I. Right, a scaled-down version of the pale Ale described here: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter1-1.html

I'm not sure how much to scale it down, I was thinking half or 2/3:rd of the recipe. My biggest pot is about r15x15, meaning like a brewpot except shorter. It's 12 litres, I believe, which is a bit over 3 gallon.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #18
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones

Recipes 

Liked 1656 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

So do a partial boil of 2.5 gallons,& chill it in an ice water bath down to pitch temp. Then top off in the fermenter with spring water or the like to the recommended total amount for the batch. Very common method.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #19
jfr1111
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
So do a partial boil of 2.5 gallons,& chill it in an ice water bath down to pitch temp. Then top off in the fermenter with spring water or the like to the recommended total amount for the batch. Very common method.
+1. I started out this way. You can use extract to make up for the loss of gravity (you are topping off with water after all). A full boil is ideal, but it's just that, ideal. Good beer can be made by topping off.

You'll have to adjust for hopping though. I think Beersmith has an option for that or something.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #20
Tubba
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Are you suggesting a partial mash here? That's an interesting method. But perhaps I should go all-extract för my first shot at brewing?

Ah, I think I see. You suggest making a full-size batch, but using less water while brewing? Okay, remember, I'm new to this. I need instructions and a fairly precise (or easily adjustable) recipe. Beersmith is a tad overwhelming, too.

Quick Reply