Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is it okay to drink?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2007, 06:39 AM   #1
jiffybrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is it okay to drink?

I need help/advice on my first AG. My beer is in the secondary. I havent opened up the lid until today when i was getting ready to bottle. I've sanatized all my bottles and i went to open the secondary there is a while film at the top with clumps of white stuff. Is this yeast? Is it contaminated?
I spigoted a little out and it looks nice and it smells nice. I noticed little bubbles in the sample. Havent tasted it yet, i'm a little hesitant.
Anyone have the same experience? Is contaminated beer safe to drink?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2007, 06:51 AM   #2
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Bottle as usual and wait usual time. Drink if it tastes good than drink. What are you out? About two cases of bottles for two weeks? Most likely it's yeast and co2 in suspension.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

taste it. there are no known pathogens that can live in beer. if it tastes ok, its probably ok.

contamination usually looks obvious: clumps of fuzzy mold, weird 'strings' of slimy stuff (sorta like egg drop soup).

the fact it doesn't smell funny is a good sign its ok and that's just some floating yeast/trub, possibly covered in tiny CO2 bubbles lending a whitish appearance.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply