Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is it OK to rack this beer to a secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
arborman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default Is it OK to rack this beer to a secondary?

Ok, so I know most of you guys around here prefer to keep the beer in the primary until bottle time. But, I have a scenario that I would like some advice on:

I brewed my first batch of beer about a week ago, an extract kit of the Cariobou Slobber from Northern Brew. I made a few mistakes, but the big one was I pitched the yeast when it was too warm. I was at least 80, possibly higher. As a result, I achieved a very active fermentation within 5 hours, then all visible signs ended within 24 hrs.

I am assuming I will have some off flavors because of this.... So, this brings me to my question: I would like to free up the primary this beer is in so I can brew up a new batch of beer this weekend. But, would I be better off leaving it in the primary and not brewing with the hopes of the beer getting better while leaving in the primary? I have read that the yeast can help clean up the off flavors, and I am unsure if this would still be the case if I racked it to a secondary. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 434 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 125

If it was me I'd just pickup a second bucket/carboy for the next batch and let this one sit. But, you can probably transfer it without too much trouble. There will still be some yeast in suspension after you transfer to secondary.

However, are you sure it's done fermenting? Have you taken any final gravity readings?

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
masterfool101
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You'll continue to condition if you rack the beer, but the conditioning will be better if you leave the beer in primary on the yeast cake.

You could always rack, and actively try to take some of the cake with the beer.

Nothing Beats a Fool's Luck . . . and I am the Master Fool.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
WyomingBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 60

^+1 on the second bucket. But you could transfer to a secondary if'n ya want to free up your bucket. People did it for years. But the buckets are cheap......

Brew What You Drink!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 466 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Have you tasted it???

Taste it and determine whether or not it has off flavors, if so leave it on the yeast, if not and its at FG then rack it

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 01-25-2013, 01:01 AM   #6
arborman
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Have you tasted it???

Taste it and determine whether or not it has off flavors, if so leave it on the yeast, if not and its at FG then rack it
Ok, so I just took a sample taste and reading... Im not sure if I am a good judge on the taste, as its my first brew. I do not taste any offensive flavors, so I guess thats a good sign?

Granted, I am not a big brown ale fan. Its a bit light tasting, but its only been a week. I was expecting a really nasty taste, but I was kinda surprised. I imagine another 3-4 weeks and it will just get better? Oh, and cold and carbonated might help too.

So, here is a pic of my gravity reading. Am I understanding this right in saying it reads 1.016? I wish I could tell you what the OG was, but I never took it. I forgot
photo.jpg  

Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 AM   #7
pellis007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

A week is a little early too rack to a secondary in my opinion. At the least, wait a couple more days and take another gravity reading. If it hasn't lowered any more at least you know your fermentation is done.

Primary#1: Currently Empty
Primary#2: Currently Empty
Primary #3: Currently Empty
Bottle Conditioning: Currently Nothing
Kegged: Pete's Cream Ale
Drinking:Biermuncher's ESB, Kolsh, Rapture Red Ale, Blonde Ale, Pete's Winter Vanilla Porter, Honey Cream Ale, Robust Porter, Old Fezziwig Christmas Ale, Pete's Golden APA, Burt's IPA, Bells Two-Hearted IPA Clone, Chocolate Milk Stout
On Deck: Not sure yet.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 AM   #8
drainbamage
It'll getcha drunk!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 812

Yeah, that looks like 1.016. Keep in mind that carbonation and bottle conditioning has a big effect on flavor. Even if you had some mild off flavors now, they might disappear by the time it's ready to serve.

I'd transfer it to secondary (with some yeast to improve conditioning), and let it sit until you get a couple consistent FG readings to show that fermentation's stopped, then bottle.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #9
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 466 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by arborman

Ok, so I just took a sample taste and reading... Im not sure if I am a good judge on the taste, as its my first brew. I do not taste any offensive flavors, so I guess thats a good sign?

Granted, I am not a big brown ale fan. Its a bit light tasting, but its only been a week. I was expecting a really nasty taste, but I was kinda surprised. I imagine another 3-4 weeks and it will just get better? Oh, and cold and carbonated might help too.

So, here is a pic of my gravity reading. Am I understanding this right in saying it reads 1.016? I wish I could tell you what the OG was, but I never took it. I forgot
That looks good but I would leave it another week in primary, let it clear and maybe it will drop a bit but that's pretty good.

If it doesn't smell or taste overly fruity and has a nice malt smell and taste that's good, it will improve once conditioned and carbonated !

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 01-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by arborman View Post
I have read that the yeast can help clean up the off flavors, and I am unsure if this would still be the case if I racked it to a secondary. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
Yes, yeast clean up the byproducts of fermentation. However, it is the yeast that are in suspension that do this. The yeast that have settled out have gone fairly dormant. If you rack to a secondary you still have the active yeast and they will do the clean up job just fine. Yeast cakes do not contribute much to the active metabolic clean up of off flavors
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition
dzlater Likes This 

Quick Reply