Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ok to Lager on trub?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
sok454
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Ok to Lager on trub?

Subject says it all. Doing my first lager. It's fermented and in fridge still on trub. Do I have secondary it for lagering?

Started brewing October 2012 with the Irish Car Bomb Stout (extract)

June 2013 Moved to BIAB/Partial Mash

August 2013 Moved to Full Mash 5 Gal MT

August 2013 Russian Imperial Stout "Time Warp Tongue Tickler" won Gold at local brew competition. Only 12 weeks from brew date!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok454 View Post
Subject says it all. Doing my first lager. It's fermented and in fridge still on trub. Do I have secondary it for lagering?
I do. I know that there are some who lager on the trub, but I prefer a super 'clean' tasting lager without yeast character so I always rack after the diacetyl rest and begin lagering.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I'm a fan of extended primaries - always at least 3-4 weeks, and I've primaried for 9-10 weeks with no discernible "yeasty" flavors. That being said, I plan to lager all of my lagers in secondary. To me, this just makes sense; you're below the recommended fermentation of the yeast, anyway... why leave it on the cake?

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 07-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 430

I've done it both ways and am of the opinion that if everything else is right it won't make much, if any, difference one way or the other.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
two_one_seven
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I pull mine off. Yeast are way less prone to autolysis in home brewing setups so you might be able to pull it off. But why take the chance when there is little chance that it will do anything to improve the beer. I rack mine to the keg and that takes of the final step anyway.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
Frige
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I ferment at 51 for a week and raise to 61 for a couple of days then drop the temp back down and just let it roll. No problems so far, well except I keep running out of beer....

Old 07-29-2013, 02:29 AM   #7
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

You don't "have to" rack for lagering. If you're doing a standard 5 or 10 gallon batch then you are very unlikely to begin autolysis in the 4 weeks of a standard lager.

If you have larger batches (greater absolute pressure on the yeast) or lager for a longer period then you might want to pull it off the trub.

Personally I always pull it off. Fr one thing I don't have to worry about how long it lagers but the real reason is that I keg and just lager in the keg which is super easy.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
sok454
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

yeah i'll have to bottle mine at the moment so that sucks. I'm thinking i'll rack to secondary for a few more weeks (its been lagering for probably 2+ now.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
hunter_la5
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 436 Posts
Likes Given: 1957

I begin lagering in the primary and finish in the keg.

primary fermentation (12-14 days) --> D-rest (2 days) --> temp drop (a few degrees each day until ~35*F) --> add gelatin for clarity --> cold rest (2 days @ ~35*F) --> transfer to keg --> continue lagering in the keg @ ~35*F until ready (4-8 weeks).

This allows the majority of yeast/sediment to drop out of suspension before transferring to the keg, and then the majority of lagering time is done in the keg. I end up with very clear, crisp beer and almost no sediment in the bottom of the keg when it kicks.

2. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer
3. KingBrianI's Common Room ESB
cheezydemon3 is my spirit animal.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
two_one_seven
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_la5 View Post
I begin lagering in the primary and finish in the keg.

primary fermentation (12-14 days) --> D-rest (2 days) --> temp drop (a few degrees each day until ~35*F) --> add gelatin for clarity --> cold rest (2 days @ ~35*F) --> transfer to keg --> continue lagering in the keg @ ~35*F until ready (4-8 weeks).

This allows the majority of yeast/sediment to drop out of suspension before transferring to the keg, and then the majority of lagering time is done in the keg. I end up with very clear, crisp beer and almost no sediment in the bottom of the keg when it kicks.
I wonder though, by adding gelatin before the bulk of lagering aren't you dropping out the yeast before it can finish the aging/lagering process? Curious but since it's working for you I guess this isn't the case.

Quick Reply