Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ok i need some help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Ok i need some help

I am having a hard time with sparge water volumes on any bigger beers. If I follow the 1.25 quarts per pound of grain, by the time I drain that off I am only left needing maybe 2-3 gallons of sparge water. For example my first runnings just now netted me 4 gallons ... I only need 6 to the boil pot so no way can I split 2 gallons and have enough to do anything.

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You don't really need to split the sparge water.

But...to fix your problem, just lower your qts/lb ratio. I've used .75qts/lb before with great results. It's a pain in the ass to stir, but after that it's fine.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4658 Times on 3383 Posts
Likes Given: 916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
You don't really need to split the sparge water.

But...to fix your problem, just lower your qts/lb ratio. I've used .75qts/lb before with great results. It's a pain in the ass to stir, but after that it's fine.
I have to disagree with this- I think at less than 1 quart/pound you'd be dealing with some pH and conversion issues.

The "easy" solution (the one I do) is just to have less sparge volume. Because I will get lower efficiency in bigger beers because of less sparge volume, I just increase my grain bill slightly to account for it.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Brew View Post
I have to disagree with this- I think at less than 1 quart/pound you'd be dealing with some pH and conversion issues.

The "easy" solution (the one I do) is just to have less sparge volume. Because I will get lower efficiency in bigger beers because of less sparge volume, I just increase my grain bill slightly to account for it.
my efficiency drops from over 75% to around 60 % when I get over 12 pounds or so of grain.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Brew View Post

That's odd. I take pH readings on my mash and I always do fine with lower ratios. I'm using the cheap pH strips though, so they could be off. I'm also getting a consistent 75-80% efficiency on most beers.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4658 Times on 3383 Posts
Likes Given: 916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
That's odd. I take pH readings on my mash and I always do fine with lower ratios. I'm using the cheap pH strips though, so they could be off. I'm also getting a consistent 75-80% efficiency on most beers.
Then I wouldn't worry about it, I guess! I'm leaning more and more towards thinner mashes- 1.5- 1.75 quarts per pound, with great results. I guess everybody's system and water is different, and there is no "blanket" answer.

To the OP, 6 gallons is a pretty low boil volume, and aside from increasing that there isn't much else you can do, besides brewing beers with less grain.

Some brewers sparge more, and get better efficiency. But the cost of that is offset with a longer boil. You wouldn't save any money if you increased your efficiency, but used twice as much fuel to boil down the wort longer.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
my efficiency drops from over 75% to around 60 % when I get over 12 pounds or so of grain.
What are you mashing in? How do you stir your grain? I don't have efficiency loss on beer until I'm at around 20 pounds.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2781 Times on 2729 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Sparge with your runnings?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 10-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Mashing in an old coleman cooler with a copper manifold. Stir the piss out of the mash when the strike water is added... today I stirred again half way through the mash hoping to help the efficiency some......... YOOP, yes it is a small boil volume but I am brewing this beer inside and I lose a gallon an hour on my stove. I am ( as you know) new enough that I usually do other peoples recipes . I guess when I get up in higher grain volumes I gotta remember to drop my efficiency in the calculator.

BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply