Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ok first question of my brewing process

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #21
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakwhite View Post
Well I used to do house restoration fire & flood, 1 thing I was always taught was to tape the fridge shut to stop it opening as the smell is terrible and a few times a whiffed it myself, even when the fridge is empty it starts to smell
That makes sense - for a fridge that's been used and simply emptied. But if you take the time to remove _everything_ and scrub it all down with a mild bleach solution, there won't be anything left behind to stink. Trust me - there are plenty of us that use freezers or refrigerators (either using them outright, or built into our fermentation chambers) at these temperatures and don't have any problems with stink. You just have to clean them out thoroughly up front. Not really a big deal.

The fridge that provides the cooling in my fermentation chamber came from my mother in law's chicken farm, for a point of reference. If anything should stink, that should. And it doesn't.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #22
jakwhite
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger

That makes sense - for a fridge that's been used and simply emptied. But if you take the time to remove _everything_ and scrub it all down with a mild bleach solution, there won't be anything left behind to stink. Trust me - there are plenty of us that use freezers or refrigerators (either using them outright, or built into our fermentation chambers) at these temperatures and don't have any problems with stink. You just have to clean them out thoroughly up front. Not really a big deal.

The fridge that provides the cooling in my fermentation chamber came from my mother in law's chicken farm, for a point of reference. If anything should stink, that should. And it doesn't.
Yes I suppose you all do, with plenty of airating all in one spray some gloves and a lil bleach I don't think it would matter too much

Well the guy with the fridge for £20 has sold it I've priced a new one cheapest is £120 not good! My friend at work suggested (not sure how it works in US) but all our old fridges freezers etc have to be taken to the tip (garbage disposal plant) so they take the insides out due to the ammonia inside, she said I should phone them and see if I can a have one or even better have one without the fridge insides and just use it as a thermal box, then in the new year keep an eye out for a cheap fridge ready for the summer/keezer time,

I will make a few calls tomorrow as its now 1am and I've just got home from work

Old 11-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #23
jakwhite
Recipes 

I have been and brought a small fridge for £5 it doesn't work but this can be my temperature controlled fermenting chamber!

A good clean up and it will be spotless! Got to go to work now though busy all weekend, will have to be a Tuesday morning jobby!

Quick Reply