Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Oh wow, it's good! (just had my first home brew)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
F250
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Default Oh wow, it's good! (just had my first home brew)

Hot Damn! Put a bottle of my British Bitter in the fridge yesterday to see how the carbonating was doing. It had been in the bottle for two weeks today so I was curious.

I had no idea what to expect so I slowly twisted the cap off over the sink and heard the lovely and familiar sound of carbonation swooshing out. Awesome, I was about half expecting a gusher, but no, it's good.

Slowly poured it into a pint glass, nice half inch of foam on top and bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. It looked clear in the bottle, but once poured it was a little hazy. But the important part obviously is taste! Hey, even tho young, this tastes good! I've drank quite a bit of genuine bitter in England in the past, so I knew what this should taste like. I'll be damned, it tastes "right". Malty, just a tad bitter, just the slightest hint of alcohol, very, very drinkable. In fact, before I knew it the pint was gone.

Needless to say, I'm ecstatic over how well my first brew turned out. This was a NB extract kit and I'll be cooking it up again soon.

Rick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
flipfloptan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Congrats on your success. You need to change the "soon" to "now." Each one will taste better and go faster and before you know it poof.

Get another in the pipeline now!

Congrats on your first success and too many more.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Congrats on your success and welcome to the cult of homebrewing! You also did a GREAT job describing your first taste, I could almost smell the beer!

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 11-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
CatHead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Congrats. Still waiting to bottle my first and the wait is rough but there is always the hard job of emptying bottles for bottling to keep me occupied.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
F250
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfloptan View Post
Congrats on your success. You need to change the "soon" to "now." Each one will taste better and go faster and before you know it poof.

Congrats on your first success and too many more.
Thank you.

I've got an Irish Red Ale fermenting now, it's been in the carboy 2 weeks as of tomorrow. Then I've got one of The Home Brewery's light lawnmower ale kits sitting here, plus one of their Oktoberfest kits waiting on Sears to send me my new fridge so I can brew it at lagering temps. I also, yesterday, ordered the SNPA clone kit from NB. So as you can see, I'm trying to follow your sage advice.

I don't know much about brewing yet so I'm following the instructions and keeping my fermentation temps on the lower end and trying not to rush things. If everything comes out as well as it appears this bitter did, I'll be doing this for a long time!

Rick

Old 11-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
F250
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarter View Post
Congrats on your success and welcome to the cult of homebrewing! You also did a GREAT job describing your first taste, I could almost smell the beer!
This will make a good brew to take along next summer during RV season. Fishing and BBQ'ing while in a lovely setting is thirsty damned work! And I could see putting a few of these away and not getting the little woman upset.

Rick

Old 11-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
F250
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHead View Post
Congrats. Still waiting to bottle my first and the wait is rough but there is always the hard job of emptying bottles for bottling to keep me occupied.
Yes, I'm drinking a pale ale right now, because I need the bottle.

So, what is your first going to be? Lets hope it's awesome!

Rick

Old 11-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfloptan View Post

This, a lot. Don't rest on your laurels--before you know it, that beer will be gone and you'll be staring down the barrel of an empty beer cupboard. Brew now so you don't regret it tomorrow!

Old 11-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Congrats on your first HB....Next Saturday will be two weeks for my Blonde Ale being in a bottle.....hope my story will be as good as yours,,,,Cheers!

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Old 11-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
F250
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodm View Post
This, a lot. Don't rest on your laurels--before you know it, that beer will be gone and you'll be staring down the barrel of an empty beer cupboard. Brew now so you don't regret it tomorrow!
I'm working on it.

Rick

Quick Reply