HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Oh please! How big of a pot do I REALLY need?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
deadfall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I had a hard time picking a 10 gallon pot. I had my heart set on a American Made Penrose kettle. When they stopped selling it. I decided to go to Keggles. I love everything about them. Expecially the diy part. Now that my beers are getting better, I don't mind brewing 10-12 gallons at a time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
wilserbrewer
Vendor
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 329 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Oh please! How big of a pot do I REALLY need?

Double batch size at a minimum for convenience...sure you can squeek by w/ smaller, but brewing w/ the right size kettle reduces stress and is more enjoyable IMHO. Problem is too large a kettle is extra work handling, cleaning, and also extra boiloff.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 790 Times on 538 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Double batch size at a minimum for convenience

40 quarts for 5 gallon batches, that's what I'd say. I could probably get away with less though, have learned to control the boil. *knock on wood", I have never had a boil-over. Well, except maybe that one time when I caught the kitchen on fire. Moved production outside to the propane, all is well.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
danorocks17
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I make 5.5 gal batches and my boil off rate is 1 gal an hour. I was using a 32 qt pot and it worked fine as long as I used fermcap-s but I recently just upgraded to a 40qt pot and I'm glad I did.

"blessing of your heart, you brew a good ale"

Old 02-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I bought a 10 gallon SS pot recently for BIAB brewing of 5.5 gallons. I love the construction of my pot but already wish I spent the extra $50 and got the 15 gallon pot. BIAB has me boiling over 9 gallons and that leaves very little space at the rim.

One thing that is not emphasized a lot but matters to me is the bottom of your pot. A lot of the less expensive pots do not have a 3 ply bottom. I believe these thin bottomed pots would tend to allow for burning of ingredients on the bottom if not careful. I also believe if anyone ever really had a BIAB grain bag melt in the pot it was due to a thin bottom. The 18/8 SS and 3 ply bottom offers protection from this and piece of mind IMHO.

If I could do my first buy over again, it would be this pot. I have the 40 qt version. I do wish it had an installed thermometer.
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Commercial-Stainless-Induction-Certified/dp/B003ATSMJY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361019496&sr=8-1&keywords=new+professional+60+qt

I like beer

Old 02-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
Braufessor
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 206

You do not need a 15 gallon pot for 5 gallon batches. Get a 10 gallon pot. I have used 9.6 gallon pots for 15 years to brew 6.5 gallon batches.... I have used 20-25 lbs of grain to make barley wines and other big beers. the 10 gallon pot has always been just fine. I would not get 7-8 simply because that would make it a little tough for brew in a bag if you ever wanted to do that.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #17
LLBeanJ

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 74

You can get by with an 8g pot, but you would be far better off going with 10. Anything larger is not necessary, just gives you the option for even larger batches down the road. I'm with cider123 on the recommendation for a pot with a 3-ply clad bottom. Spend the extra $ on this, as it is extremely worthwhile for BIAB. No need for a veggie steamer or a rack in the bottom to keep your bag from burning. It's one less thing to worry about.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
woknblues
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I got an 80qt Thundergroup aluminum pot shipped for around $60 a few months back. T'was awesome.

However, I have an 8 gallon stainless bayou stainless that will do a nice boil with plenty of headroom on a 5 gallon batch. A boil over can happen on any size pot I would bet. Just don't look away and keep your hand on the throttle.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #19
brewfreeordie
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I've got a 10 gallon and do 4-6 gallon batches. If I were to do it over again I'd buy a 15 gallon pot. It would give me more flexibility to do bigger beers and party-gyle stuff. I could do 10 gallons, split the batch and do adjuncts like dry-hopping, fruit/flavoring additions and switch up the yeast while being able to keep brews in 5 gallon batches. I'd probably brew 1/month vs 2x/month as I do now, cutting the clean-up in 1/2.

8-10 gallon pots are really too big for 1 gallon brews and barely big enough for 5 gallon brews. I get by but it's one thing I would have done differently.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #20
doctormiah

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I agree with the 7.5 gallon boil volume, which means you need a little space and require a brew pot >8 gallon. Typical sizes available are 10 gallon pots which should eliminate concern for boil over.

IMHO, even though you only NEED a 10 gallon brew pot the price difference becomes very little between 10 and 15 gallon pots and I would recommend buying the 15 gallon to prevent frustration a year or two from now.

Quick Reply