Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > oh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh - darn lips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
ChickenSoop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default oh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh - darn lips

Ok, I am about to wrap up my first batch I ever made. Almost ready to bottle in a few more days.

I made the batch first, then I read the beer making manual and realized what I did wrong ....

ok, ok, yes, I did it. When I transferred to the secondary, I primed the hose with my lips. Not the proper way at all.

Will I just end up with a batch of windshield washer fluid?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Probably not, but there's always a chance about 20% chance you ruined your batch.....just learn from your mistake, buy an auto siphon and/or never prime a siphon with your lips again...

Don't need to prime at all with one of these, best 10 bucks you can spend...2 pumps and you are flowing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
onejdn
Recipes 

I agree, buy an autosiphon, but I have don't it "old school" many times as well and never had a problem. If your gonna go old school you gotta gargle and swallow some whiskey or vodka. you know.....too kill your mouth nasties

Old 12-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Even if you don't have an autosiphon, you can start a siphon using a plain piece of flexible vinyl tubing without using your mouth.

Fill the tube with water, keep your finger over one end and place the other end in the carboy you are siphoning from. Put the end with your finger over it below the level of the carboy over a jar or bucket and release your finger. This will get the siphon going. When the water clears the line into the jar or bucket, move the tube into your bottling bucket or secondary carboy (or whatever you are siphoning into).

Practice this a couple of times with plain water and you'll have it down pat.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 12-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
Decojuicer
Recipes 

Here's something that you may not know. Never use an autosiphon in hot water. They will crack and you will have to go spend another $15, like I will on Friday.

There's a dragon in my garage - Carl Sagan

Primary - Schwartzhund Lager, 7 Point IPA
Secondary - Schwartzhund Lager
On Tap - Lawnmower Wheat Beer, Oatmeal Sweet Stout
Bottled - Pumpkin Ale
On Deck - Pretty Magnificent Stout

Old 12-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1271 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decojuicer View Post
Here's something that you may not know. Never use an autosiphon in hot water. They will crack and you will have to go spend another $15, like I will on Friday.
I havent had any problems doing this YET. But I have a relatively new auto siphon (used three times) so maybe over the course of time hot water will damage it? Anyway this is something I will keep in mind. Thanks!

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Old 12-29-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
earthad1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoserama View Post
I havent had any problems doing this YET. But I have a relatively new auto siphon (used three times) so maybe over the course of time hot water will damage it? Anyway this is something I will keep in mind. Thanks!

Same here... Thanks for the heads up

Old 12-29-2008, 11:53 PM   #8
Matthew_Eldon_Verge
Recipes 

Man, I've been using my lips for all my brews. All four!

Best get an auto siphon.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:33 AM   #9
FxdGrMind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did the lips thing on a wine I made years ago... turned into vinegar... Yuck!!!

This time I primed the siphon with Sanitizer (no rinse) and pinched the hose (hose pinch thingy) put it in a pitcher of the sanitizer (both ends) then took the cane end and put it in the kettle and then moved the hose out and let the pinch go waiting for the beer to flow. Then moved to the Primary and filled.

Granted the auto siphon looks cool!

Old 12-30-2008, 01:42 AM   #10
Christian
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decojuicer View Post
Also, when they say not to pull from the bend or it will crack........they aren't lying.

I've broken a few those suckers that way......I don't always learn from my mistakes.

I believe Homer Simpson said it best "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"

CMAC'S Brewery

Quick Reply