Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Oh NOOO another secondary question. Kinda

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
justonemore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oh NOOO another secondary question. Kinda

Ok i brewed my first ever batch, an Irish Stout last tuesday and everything went great. I hit the low end with a 1.046 SG. Airlock bubble away for 3 days then stopped on friday. I ignored the batch saturday and the took a reading on sunday and got a 1.014. Checked again today and again 1.014, but was less than 24 hours. According to my math that puts it at 4.2 ABV.

The kit doesnt give a FG, but does say that the ABV should be 4.5 - 5.0. Is this common for the ABV to be off that much? I realize that it isnt alot, but nonetheless it is low. I would like to rack to a secondary and start a new brew cycle in the primary, but i dont want to jump the gun.

Would you rack it or wait?????

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2814 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Personally, if you need to rack to put a new batch in, I'd go ahead.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 04-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would wait. I like to give my beer a minimum of two weeks on the yeast. There are some things going on that are not necessarily shown by a gravity reading, and it is nice to give the yeast time to clean it up. You can skip secondary altogether at that point if you'd like.

As for your OG --> FG question... You're fine. If it was an extract batch where you topped off with water, you might not have gotten a dead on gravity reading in the first place. Even if it is dead on, it wouldn't take much extra water to push a beer from 4.5 to 4.2 percent. You could just have a bit more volume than you anticipated.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
Kickass
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I would wait. I like to give my beer a minimum of two weeks on the yeast. There are some things going on that are not necessarily shown by a gravity reading, and it is nice to give the yeast time to clean it up. You can skip secondary altogether at that point if you'd like.

As for your OG --> FG question... You're fine. If it was an extract batch where you topped off with water, you might not have gotten a dead on gravity reading in the first place. Even if it is dead on, it wouldn't take much extra water to push a beer from 4.5 to 4.2 percent. You could just have a bit more volume than you anticipated.
+1

Quality will be improved by leaving your beer on the yeast from a few more days at a minimum.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

there are still a lot of yeastys floating around there. I think racking would be fine but let it condition for a few weeks before bottling/kegging. I leave everything 3 weeks in primary but I don't use a secondary.

that said, I don't think the cake of dormant yeast needs to be there for a beer to clean up. There are still millions of yeast in suspension that will be transfered to the secondary that will help with the conditioning process.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Old 04-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose1873 View Post
there are still a lot of yeastys floating around there. I think racking would be fine but let it condition for a few weeks before bottling/kegging. I leave everything 3 weeks in primary but I don't use a secondary.

that said, I don't think the cake of dormant yeast needs to be there for a beer to clean up. There are still millions of yeast in suspension that will be transfered to the secondary that will help with the conditioning process.
I've personally racked a beer too early that ended up having diacetyl issues, so I don't think that it is impossible for bad things to happen.

Quick Reply