Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Oh darn it

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #21
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

When the beer temp dropped more CO2 was able to remain in solution. Plus, the ferment may have been close to being done. I'd RDWHAHB on this.

I think it's ok to allow the temp to raise a bit after the initial gust of fermentation is complete.

And yeah, I am pretty sure that anyone who's experienced a warm ferment can pick out the tell tale flavors. The difference in taste since I started using a temp controller and fridge has been amazing. I wish I had understood the importance of keeping the temps down when I first started. My ales have been MUCH better since I started fermenting in the low to mid 60s.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #22
sgoehner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
I'm pretty confident that for most ale yeasts (Belgians excepted) that nearly everyone will be able to taste the difference between a beer fermented at 75 and another at 62. The difference may not be important to you, but there is a noticeable difference that will be plainly noticeable to most palates.

That being said, the advice above about not stressing out is good - its your first brew, you're making beer, enjoy it
Pappers, I did a hydro reading today and it came out at 1.011 (started at 1.030 as I topped off with water to get 5 gallons). I was thinking of waiting until Sunday and doing another reading and then waiting a few more days until I start checking daily to make sure fermentation is done. How much lower do you think the SG could go?

ETA: I am doing much better at relaxing on it just want to make sure I follow proper protocol from here on out.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #23
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

that should be as low as it goes. My preference is to wait for it to clear... in other words, I ignore the calendar and let the beer tell me when it's done rather than me trying to tell the beer when I expect it to be

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 08-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #24
afraziaaaa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoehner View Post
It is right at 68 now after being out of the swamp cooler, I am going to have to work on the ice additions because the room it is in is running around 72 right now and will go up a little in the next couple of days because of the weather, even though that is the coolest room in the house. I had planned on waiting to take a reading until Monday.

ETA, I am brewing the Northern Brewer Innkeeper Extract with Grains recipe using Wyeast 1768 English Bitter yeast (which I might add smelled amazing)

I made a batch of this a few months ago. Fermented at about 69, and it turned out great. When you prime for bottling use the whole pack of sugar that came with the kit. I tried to carb to style and only used an ounce of priming sugar for a 5gal batch on this one and it turns out that I don't like flat beer as much as I do carbonated beer. That is the only thing that would have made this beer better.

70 Gallons in this year

Old 08-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #25
Mpavlik22
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

i doubt you'll go any lower than that using extract

Old 08-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #26
sgoehner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post

I made a batch of this a few months ago. Fermented at about 69, and it turned out great. When you prime for bottling use the whole pack of sugar that came with the kit. I tried to carb to style and only used an ounce of priming sugar for a 5gal batch on this one and it turns out that I don't like flat beer as much as I do carbonated beer. That is the only thing that would have made this beer better.
Mine did not come with a seperate package of priming sugar, I have some however and was planning on using the amount in the directions.

ETA: How much sugar was in the priming pack. My pack came with 1 lb of corn sugar that the directions indicated was to be added along with the DME and LME

Last edited by sgoehner; 08-26-2011 at 12:48 AM.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:50 AM   #27
sgoehner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferpilot View Post
that should be as low as it goes. My preference is to wait for it to clear... in other words, I ignore the calendar and let the beer tell me when it's done rather than me trying to tell the beer when I expect it to be

I get that, one question though, since I am still new, how do I know when the beer is clear. When took my reading today there were a few bubbles on the surface with the a little bit of the hops floating around, but the liquid itself was clear. Are you refering to everything being settled?

Old 08-26-2011, 01:57 AM   #28
shafferpilot

Recipes 

yep. shine a bright flashlight through it and observe from the opposite side. It should look extremely clear all the way down to a hard packed sediment layer. If you can't see the flashlight, it aint done yet. If it's hazy or cloudy all the way through, it aint done yet; if its even slightly hazy in the bottom couple inches, it aint done yet. If just bumping it slightly causes sediment to lift and move around, it aint done yet. Get it?

Old 08-26-2011, 01:58 AM   #29
sgoehner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferpilot View Post
yep. shine a bright flashlight through it and observe from the opposite side. It should look extremely clear all the way down to a hard packed sediment layer. If you can't see the flashlight, it aint done yet. If it's hazy or cloudy all the way through, it aint done yet; if its even slightly hazy in the bottom couple inches, it aint done yet. If just bumping it slightly causes sediment to lift and move around, it aint done yet. Get it?
Got it, I am using a plastic primary, if that makes a difference. I really don't plan on doing much to it for a while anyways.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:02 AM   #30
shafferpilot

Recipes 

Oh... well yes, it makes a different since you can't see what's happening... And THAT is why I hate using buckets....

Quick Reply