Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > OG way too high thanks to my brilliance!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 03:44 AM   #11
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylerChaBro View Post
How low do you think I should keep the fermentation?

Right now it's around 69f, if i moved it to say the basement it would probably be closer to say 60-63f.

Also remember, I used the whole bag so it is actually 9lbs of DME.
Nothing wrong with "69".... The inner temps of the fermenter will be somewhat higher. Leave it where it is.

9 lbs is definitely underhopped. You could make a hop tea or find some liquid hop extract to add bitterness, but wait until it's done fermenting and add to taste.

Where are you in MI? I get to Detriot/Warren/Sterling Heights several times a year. This'll be my last year for traveling there since I'll be retiring next January.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 03:49 AM   #12
chemist308
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've never brewed anything that high of gravity, but if I did, I would strongly consider trading the standard airlock for a blow off tube... Am I wrong to suggest this or would the tube be warranted?

Primary Fermenter 1: Beer

Primary Fermenter 2: Empty

Secondary Fermenter: Empty

Bottled: ESB Stout

Drinking: Nothing

Old 01-05-2009, 07:00 AM   #13
SkylerChaBro
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
Nothing wrong with "69".... The inner temps of the fermenter will be somewhat higher. Leave it where it is.

9 lbs is definitely underhopped. You could make a hop tea or find some liquid hop extract to add bitterness, but wait until it's done fermenting and add to taste.

Where are you in MI? I get to Detriot/Warren/Sterling Heights several times a year. This'll be my last year for traveling there since I'll be retiring next January.
Well as long as that fusil*sp* taste does not come around. Fermentation is still going decent at a bubble every 7-14 seconds. If the batch does not turn out maybe I'll have something similar to a malt liquor (ugh). Now having more info and also being able to utilize promash will help dramatically in future brews.

I'm in Livonia, so not that far off from the areas you visit. Detroit is about 15-20 min east of me. Warren isn't that far either, although SH is more around a 30min drive I believe.

Congrats on your retirement, brew the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
I've never brewed anything that high of gravity, but if I did, I would strongly consider trading the standard airlock for a blow off tube... Am I wrong to suggest this or would the tube be warranted?
I don't think you are wrong at all, in fact the first day of fermentation was somewhat turbulent, although not that bad. The air lock got blown off twice and after that it was fine. Loss was very minimal, not even enough to make it off the lid! Blow off wouldn't be a bad idea though no doubt, any higher temp and I could have had some real clean up to do.

Mark K.

Quick Reply