Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > OG and SRM too high

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 05:02 AM   #1
BlackZX3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default OG and SRM too high

I hit a 1.080 OG on an octobterfest I just finished brewing and racking into primary. Currently the volume of beer in the fermenter is 5 gallons. Can I add a couple gallons of water to get my gravity down to something more within style (around a 1.057) It has been in the primary for 24 hours and I already pitched the yeast. If nothing can be done, i guess I will just sit back and relax, but I would really like to lighten it up. Is it possible to ass water when I rack into secondary? I am using Wyeast Bohemian Lager yeast and I used an extract recipe with 7 lbs of Plain DME 4oz dextrin, and I mashed about 2lbs total of aromatic, vienna, caramunich prior to the boil. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2007, 05:14 AM   #2
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 77

You can add some pre boiled water to the fermenter if you want. If it were me I would leave it and see how it turns out. You may have to age it a bit longer but it might be interesting to see how it comes out.
It sounds like you could use a brewing program like ProMash to calculate your brews. They are only about $20 and will save you the hassle of missing your gravity and SRM. Give it a shot. There are free trials for some of them so you can check them out before you purchase.

Cheers,
Rich

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply