Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > OG reading is now .998, what is going on?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 25

What exactly did you mean by "mixed and put in primary"?
Tell me that you boiled the wort and hops per the directions please?
Did you boil, and then add water to top off?
Did you get the water and wort really well mixed?
My guess is that the LME is not mixed, and you are reading (and tasting) basically water.

Keg #1: RHESB 6.2
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: BMC West
Fermenter #1 Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe, The Bollocks ESB, Dark Matter stout.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't think you want to keep using Chloroclean. Otherwise, your next thread will be "Why does my beer taste like band-aids/medicine?". Residual chlorine and especially chloramine can wind up producing chlorophenols which do not taste good. Pick up some Star-San or iodine-based sanitizer that you don't have to rinse.

As far as this batch goes, you probably did get an infection but all may not be lost. Did it actually taste bad or just not like beer? The reason I ask is that sour beers are a whole category of beers that are infected on purpose. Try a few commercial sour examples first so you know what to look for and then taste yours again. You might actually have something nice there.

Of course, you might not.

[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polorl69 View Post
I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

If you can spare the bottles, go ahead and package it and leave it be for a few months. Could turn out to be fantastic. A mildly infected beer isn't usually half bad.

Most hydrometers are calibrated at 60*, but usually it says on it somewhere (or the brand does online).

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #14
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrain View Post
What exactly did you mean by "mixed and put in primary"?
Tell me that you boiled the wort and hops per the directions please?
Did you boil, and then add water to top off?
Did you get the water and wort really well mixed?
My guess is that the LME is not mixed, and you are reading (and tasting) basically water.
Good point. OP, did you actually measure your OG or that just what the recipe says it's supposed to be?

[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polorl69 View Post
I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
Thisismyname
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenshead View Post
Good point. OP, did you actually measure your OG or that just what the recipe says it's supposed to be?
I measured the OG, i did it after I added yeast though... As per mixing, what I did was I added 2 litres of hot water (around 70oC) to the extract (like the instructions said), and then i stirred, i then poured another 18 litres of cold distilled water (right from the jug) into the batch, added the liquid glucose, added hops, then added yeast.

After stirring for a couple of minutes i transfered to the carboy. From the sounds of it i guess i have an infected batch. I'll still bottle it though

Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #16
Thisismyname
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenshead View Post
I don't think you want to keep using Chloroclean. Otherwise, your next thread will be "Why does my beer taste like band-aids/medicine?". Residual chlorine and especially chloramine can wind up producing chlorophenols which do not taste good. Pick up some Star-San or iodine-based sanitizer that you don't have to rinse.

As far as this batch goes, you probably did get an infection but all may not be lost. Did it actually taste bad or just not like beer? The reason I ask is that sour beers are a whole category of beers that are infected on purpose. Try a few commercial sour examples first so you know what to look for and then taste yours again. You might actually have something nice there.

Of course, you might not.
I wouldn't say it tasted horrible... it just didn't taste at all like beer, in fact the first thing that came to mind was fruit punch... it just tastes really fruity but alcoholic. I really like your suggestion of using iodine-based sanitizer, I really think that would really help fix things a lot. I'm gunna start looking for star-san and use that instead.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
metanoia
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisismyname

I measured the OG, i did it after I added yeast though... As per mixing, what I did was I added 2 litres of hot water (around 70oC) to the extract (like the instructions said), and then i stirred, i then poured another 18 litres of cold distilled water (right from the jug) into the batch, added the liquid glucose, added hops, then added yeast.

After stirring for a couple of minutes i transfered to the carboy. From the sounds of it i guess i have an infected batch. I'll still bottle it though
I've only heard of no-boils for kits that have hopped malt extract. Do your actions match up with the directions from your kit?
On Deck:

Thinking about racking to a secondary? Read this first.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #18
bioguy
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 56

The procedure just sounds like a recipe for wild yeast or bacteria.

No boil at all?

I'd definitely bottle it though--brewing was done with wild yeast for thousands of years before germ theory.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #19
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Adding hops to wort that's not boiling? There will be almost no bitterness from them, and despite what people say "I don't like hoppy beers" you NEED bitterness or it's not beer. Even Bud Light has hop bitterness.

You can't look at brewing like making a cake where you just mix everything together. Ya gotta do it in steps, even with extract. At minimum, hops need to be added per a schedule, to boiling water or wort. The extract should be added somewhere during the boil or just as the heat is removed. Yeast should never be added until the wort is cooled to 70F or below. Everything should be sanitized that will touch the wort after it's no longer boiling. I'd use StarSan if possible. It's no rinse, yeast love it, and it just works...in a matter of seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #20
rjschroed
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisismyname View Post
i guess i'll have to be extremely thorough with my sanitizing next time I clean my equipment... the annoying part is that I usually let my stuff sit in 'chloroclean' for at least 30 minutes, so I'll just have to make sure its actually sanitizing better somehow
I don't have any experience with "choloroclean" but if it contains chlorine, like the name implies, it needs to be rinsed after use which, to me, sort of defeats the purpose. I switched to starsan several years ago and now I swear by the stuff. Haven't had any sanitation issues since using it ever. No rinse, don't fear the foam.

Quick Reply