Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > OG Reading Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Eman24dx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default OG Reading Help

So for my first brew ever I followed directions from this site to a T and was very sanitary and everything seemed to go great. 12 hours later I had a nice and bubbly airlock and now 36 hours later the airlock is very very bubbly (which I take is a good thing)

My question is my my amateur calculations is the hydrometer is reading at 1.026 which I may be reading wrong (Picture below) but the instructions say it should be at 1.042-1.046 with a FG of 1.010-1.012.

1. Am I reading this correct?
2. Am I way off on OG?
3. Am I just a worried Noob and the rapid airlock means everything is ok?

Any help is much appreciated.

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\ejg\My Documents\IMG01059-20121208-2247.jpg[/IMG]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Eman24dx
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Not sure how to add the picture

Old 12-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

See if this doesn't answer your question. Attention new brewers, yes your original gravity reading is wrong. Don't panic.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Eman24dx
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Awesome, did a quick search but at work so figured someone would point me in the right direction.

"Brewers get a low reading if they get more of the top off water than the wort, conversely they get a higher number if they grabbed more of the extract than the top off water in their sample."

When I take readings after a week or so will the wort have the same reading top, middle, and bottom or would i need to gently stir?

Thanks again,

Old 12-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman24dx View Post
Awesome, did a quick search but at work so figured someone would point me in the right direction.

"Brewers get a low reading if they get more of the top off water than the wort, conversely they get a higher number if they grabbed more of the extract than the top off water in their sample."

When I take readings after a week or so will the wort have the same reading top, middle, and bottom or would i need to gently stir?

Thanks again,
The yeast will churn everything up and mix it well.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 12-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don't stir it! For God's sake, don't stir it!

Don't even look at it. Put it away for three weeks, and don't even think about it. Then three weeks later, lock eyes meaningfully with it across a crowded room, but don't approach. You have to make the beer want YOU. Finally, a month after you pitched the yeast, rack, and then bottle.

Don't obsess over gravity readings. The yeast know what to do, and they're doing it all by themselves.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Eman24dx
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Haha, thats great. BUT, I will need the primary free in 7-10 days as I am planning my 2nd brew day and ordered a glass carboy and intend to get some use out of it.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
resQman4
Recipes 

Haha. It's like you were reading my thoughts from a year ago word for word. That is until I learned that the beer will dictate to me when I transfer it. And what an unnecessary step a secondary is unless you have a high OG beer or making a fruit beer or things of the like. Not to mention what a pain it is to clean carboys. But if it works for you, awesome. It sure didn't for me

Old 12-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman24dx View Post
Haha, thats great. BUT, I will need the primary free in 7-10 days as I am planning my 2nd brew day and ordered a glass carboy and intend to get some use out of it.
Choose your own adventure. Before you do though, it might be useful to read one of the many great threads on why you may get better beer if you leave it in the primary for longer. I don't feel like searching for them right now, but I'm sure you can do so. Or Revvy can point you in the right direction.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
Eman24dx
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have read the many threads and as a Noob will probably just break down, open the wallet and buy another primary bucket with lid and airlock and have a 2nd primary bucket. Only like $20 anyways. Seems like 75% here would recommend that method vs a secondary.

I guess I can get good use out of the secondary 5 or so brews down the road when I am brave enough to attempt dry hopping or adding fruit to beer.

Quick Reply