*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > OG Lower than expected - what now?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
darrenbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default OG Lower than expected - what now?

Hey all,

Today I did my first homebrew that was not a MR Beer kit, and it was the first time I took OG readings and actually had to rack my beer with the racking cane. Interesting day.

Anyhow, my recommended OG was 1.048-1.042, but the reading I got was 1.042. What ramifications could become of this lower OG?

Also when you guys are transferring from the brew pot to the primary how do you filter out all the trub. I transferred with the cane, then once at the bottom I tried to filter the trub with a strainer, but in the process I think I lost a quart of beer (not quite 5 gallons in my primary). What do you do?

-DZ

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 190

1.) You are right at the bottom of the recipe gravity. Yay! Still within spec. You will be on the lower end of the alcohol level but no biggie. Maybe next time if you do the same recipe boil a few minutes longer.

2.) I might be the wrong person to ask but I dump all of my kettle into the fermenter and worry about filtering it out while racking to secondary or racking to bottling bucket later. I like to enjoy my brew day and I don't enjoy filtering through trub or potentially losing total drinkable beer volume.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 490 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I mean no insult but did you take your reading at the correct temp.(mine needs temp to be 62*) just checking.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 755 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 246

I'm another trub dumper. I don't notice anything going wrong with that, no off flavors and I get all my beer. The trub settles to the bottom of the fermenter and I rack above it to the bottling bucket. If I happen to suck up a little trub it settles in the bottling bucket while I am getting ready to start bottling and stays there.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Did you do a full boil, or top off with water? If you topped off, then you probably had a higher OG than you measured because it is very difficult to thoroughly mix the top off water with the wort.

I wouldn't worry at all about losing 1 qt beer when transferring to the fermenter. I have a kettle with a false bottom and a spigot, and use whole hops. To transfer to the fermenter, I just drain through a CFC, and the hops on top of the false bottom capture most of the hot break (although I get all the cold break in the fermenter). On a typical brew with about 3 oz hops, I lose about 1.5 qt to hop absorption and trub. I don't worry about it. I usually lose a bit more when I keg because the keg won't quite hold everything in the fermenter.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #6
darrenbrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenbrews View Post
my recommended OG was 1.048-1.042,
Actually I meant that my recommended OG was 1.048-1.052 but I came in at 1.042.

Quote:
Did you do a full boil, or top off with water?
I topped off with water, I was wondering if this could have been an issue with OG reading.

Quote:
did you take your reading at the correct temp.(mine needs temp to be 62*) just checking.
Directions said 70 degrees , so that's what I did but might have been 1-2 degrees off though, would that matter?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #7
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 246 Posts

There's a solid chance the wort wasn't completely mixed with the top off water and you measured a watery part.

Yes, temp matters when measuring gravity. Your hydrometer should have come with a piece of paper explaining what the temp should be and how to correct if you are off of that temp. Also, on the bottom of the hydrometer, there should be a couple numbers (60/60, maybe?) which are the temp you should measure at and the temp it was calibrated at, respectively.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #8
beaksnbeer

Recipes 

Liked 490 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenbrews View Post
Actually I meant that my recommended OG was 1.048-1.052 but I came in at 1.042.

I topped off with water, I was wondering if this could have been an issue with OG reading.

Directions said 70 degrees , so that's what I did but might have been 1-2 degrees off though, would that matter?
Yes both of this will change your reading, BUT chances are your mash temp was off so you didn't get full conversion.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaksnbeer
Yes both of this will change your reading, BUT chances are your mash temp was off so you didn't get full conversion.
Was this pm or AG? I assumed it was extract. Didn't actually see it mentioned anywhere, though. If you mashed, that leads to more possibilities as to why you reading was off of your expectations.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:43 AM   #10
darrenbrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
Was this pm or AG? .
It was extract with steeping.