Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > OG for English Bitter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
dummybrewman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default OG for English Bitter

I made an English bitter today, and think I have added too much water, which makes my OG way off. The only difference in the recipe I did was change one of the hops. This shouldn't affect my OG(I don't believe). I made sure the temp was correct before testing, the hydrometer looks to be in good shape. It is reading at 1.065, which is far too high as it is supposed to be between 1.032 and 1.036. Is there a fix for this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
mrrshotshot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Too much water would cause a lower OG not a larger one. Is this a partial boil recipe? Most people have issues with partial boil OGs if the wort was not mixed well enough with your mixing water. The sugary wort is heavier than the water which could cause gravity reading issues if it wasn't mixed well. There's a thread on here somewhere that discusses this in length.... Can't find it though.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
dummybrewman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was just in the midst of replying when I saw this. I did a test with the hydrometer by adding water, and sure enough it lowered the og. Which I knew in my head, but the frustration of possibly messing the batch up over ruled my thoughts. So here goes some trial and error as I add more water. By not adding water will I have a higher abv, or will it be too bitter by not adding the water? This particular bitter has a low abv.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 113 Posts

Before you start some trial & error, can you post your recipe? If this is an extract batch, then your OG is easily calculated and will be very close to that assuming volumes are accurate

Old 04-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 53

hydrometers measure how much sugar there is in the sample of wort you pulled. If you add water, you dilute the amount of sugars are in your wort, meaning that your sample will have less. Think of it like kool-aid, if you made half a pitcher of it how sweet would it be? Now fill the pitcher up to the top without adding any more powder.... is it sweeter or less sweet? Same principal.

Primary: English Gold
Secondary: 2013 Dark Stock (on oak), Wee Heavy on oak
Bottled: Sir Suspicious Oatmeal Stout, Victorious Brown Ale, Wee Rambunctious Scotch/Belgian Hybrid

Old 04-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
dummybrewman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

FERMENTABLES
3.3lb Plain LME
1lb Amber DME
SPECIALTY GRAINS
12oz 60L
HOPS
1 UK Goldings
1US Fuggles(which I switched out the original Goldings)
YEAST
WL English Ale yeast

Old 04-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
dummybrewman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good to know, I didn't think of it that way, why I don't know, ha. I think it will be fine. I did add a little water which brought my OG to the correct level (1.032). We shall see. Worst case is I have a potentially weaker beer. Should still taste good.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
dcp27
Recipes 

The problem with adding more water, is you need to mix it really well to get an accurate reading. If your volume was correct (5gals), then you should've been around 1.034 and now you've diluted it. I highly recommend measuring OG before topping off and calculating from there for more accuracy
OG1 * Vol1 = OG2 * Vol2 (i.e. if you were really at 1.065, then it'd be Vol2 = 65 / 34 * 5 (or whatever volume was)

Old 04-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
dummybrewman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Maybe you read into what I typed differently than how I meant it to come out. My OG at 5gal was 1.065. This is high for this particular beer. I only added water after I realizing the reading was high. For some reason it was high, I don't know why. I stirred everything well when adding water, and continued to check until I reached a more correct reading. I am reading at 1.032, which is in range. Directions also say to add water if needed to get in range.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
dcp27
Recipes 

it is impossible for it to have been 1.065 @5gal with those ingredients, it wasn't fully mixed thus the high reading. if you continued to top off beyond 5gals, then you've diluted it

Quick Reply