Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Off taste after 3-4 weeks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
showdown496
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Off taste after 3-4 weeks

I have now made about 6 batches of beer and all of them have had the same fate. All have been extract recipes from various companies, all except one used specialty grains. My equipment was all new last year. I started using oxi clean, then went to idophor, then star san. The first 4 batches were bottled, the last two were kegged. I have used both dry and activator smack pack yeasts. Iam using a turkey fryer with spring water (several brands) I have a homemade immersion chiller and usually have it cooled down in less than 15 minutes. I have fermented at anywhere from 58-70 degrees and cold crashed the last batch for 7 days in my keezer at 34 degrees. The problem shows up about 3-4 weeks after bottling or kegging. The beer tastes great when it is green, but once it ages it develops an ice tea/cardboard/yeasty taste. I can't put my finger on exactly what the taste is, but it really sucks having a great tasting beer turn like that. My next batch is an all grain batch so I guess I will be able to rule out extract twang. If it shows up in that batch I am all out of ideas, other than drinking really really fast! Does anyone have any suggestions of what may be causing this?

Last edited by showdown496; 12-07-2011 at 09:31 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I suspect oxidation. From my wine making I have become anal about oxidation. I purge all vessels with CO2 before racking into them. I push with CO2 when racking out of carboys. I top off all head space with CO2 and check it every 2 weeks during conditioning by using a lighter at the edge of the carboy lip (it should extinguish).

Purge your kegs with CO2 prior to filling and insure the headspace is purged before you seal it up to carbonate. Keep your racking process as closed as possible.

Good luck, keep at it

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

What is the type of yeast that you're using and the fermentation steps that you're undertaking with your beer? The yeast biscuit taste is common to some strains of yeast, as well as having some yeast still in suspension due to a lack of aging and conditioning.

I'm willing to bet that if you let the beer condition for a few more weeks in the bottle/keg, that it'll taste completely different. Cold conditioning (in a fridge) can also help floc out a lot of yeast, and a cold crash for a week (3 weeks fermenting in primary, 1 week cold crash) can help settle out more of that taste.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
showdown496
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have used 6 different types of yeast. I started with a two stage fermentation, then went two weeks in the bucket, and have went as long a 4 weeks in the bucket. I have since tried some 6 month old beer and the taste has actually gotten stronger.
I too am now guessing it is oxidation, but all the threads seem to say that it is quite hard to oxidize beer so thus why I posted to see if there may be some other problem here.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

It's hard to oxidize beer if you're doing things correctly and paying decent attention, but not too hard otherwise. What's your bottling routine like? I think most oxidation happens at bottling. It's actually a fairly common defect in homebrews, to one degree or another.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
Grossy
Grossy Proudfoot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 17

What you are describing is my exact problem.

I do extract brewing. I have an oxygen system. I do very late extract additions. I follow the 10 steps to extract brewing. And except for one oatmeal stout, all of them have had this astringent after taste. I think the stout may have covered the twang taste, but I cannot make an extract pale ale, and I have tried, 10 batches.

I keep hearing that it is the "Extract astringency" on this forum. So I just got a 20 gallon pot and I will start all grain brewing.

It's just so disconcerting to brew batch after batch, and then be disappointed.

I'm not quitting, I'm doubling down.

"That was proper 1420, that was."
- Old Gaffer at the Bywater Inn

Old 12-08-2011, 12:25 AM   #7
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grossy View Post
What you are describing is my exact problem.

I do extract brewing. I have an oxygen system. I do very late extract additions. I follow the 10 steps to extract brewing. And except for one oatmeal stout, all of them have had this astringent after taste. I think the stout may have covered the twang taste, but I cannot make an extract pale ale, and I have tried, 10 batches.

I keep hearing that it is the "Extract astringency" on this forum. So I just got a 20 gallon pot and I will start all grain brewing.

It's just so disconcerting to brew batch after batch, and then be disappointed.

I'm not quitting, I'm doubling down.
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but it's not the extract. Almost every shop gets their extract from one of a couple of sources, and almost everyone is able to brew with extract without any astringence (which just DOES NOT come from extract) or "twang." Unless your LHBS is not storing their extracts properly, it's something in your process that is causing problems.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-08-2011, 12:28 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

What kind of water are you guys using?

Old 12-08-2011, 12:36 AM   #9
showdown496
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok so here I sit drinking my latest brew...an american bock from the home brewery. Really no taste at first followed by a bitter/cardboard like taste, and I swear with the off taste the color of the head has changed from pure white to somewhat of a tan color. Does this mean anything?? As far as my process, when I keg the beer I merely clean the keg out, add a star san solution and shake the keg, then I pressurize with c02 run the solution out the line and de pressurize and remove the lid. Then I shake the majority of the foam out and rack directly from fermenter to keg. Then I install the lid, pressurize, bleed, pressurize, bleed, pressurize, put in keezer and force carb at 30psi for 3 days at 34 deg., lower to 10psi for 2 days, and drink! It tastes great for 1-3 weeks, but then this damn taste comes out of nowhere and seems to appear all at once!

Old 12-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #10
showdown496
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have used nusery water, spring water, distilled water, and purified water. All did the same thing!

Quick Reply