Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > off taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
jv0021
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default off taste

So last Wednesday I transferred my first brew to my carboy, last night after taking a gravity reading I thought I would taste the product. It seemed to have almost a rubbing alcohol taste to it. Will this go away with time or won't the flavor change much now. It's brewers best American light. Thanks for the help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
NWAleDad
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

what temp did it ferment at? Could be off flavors such as fusel alcohols. it might get better over time.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
ETCS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Check out this link from "How to Brew" It give some common off flavors and what the problem could be.

Brewers make wort, Yeast make beer!!!!

Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 51 Posts

Many fermentation off flavors will resolve themselves with more conditioning time. So, my suggestion overall is let it mellow (and don't muck with it too much taking samples and such because you up your risk of infection). However, fusel alcohols, which you may be describing, are not one of them. Not much you can do about fusels unless you have access to some very sophisticated distilling gear. But, regardless, let it mellow (weeks or even months -- nothing to loose really) and see what happens.

For example, I brewed an ESB last year which had some really pronounced off-flavors initially, I let it condition for about another month (and did a little "CO2 scrubbing") and it was spot on then. Pronounced a very good ESB by a British bartender friend of mine even.

Fusels are often caused by ferm temps that were too high. A few questions: What strain of yeast did you use? What were your ferm temps? What was your OG? What was your last SG reading?

Old 01-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
jv0021
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis2010 View Post
Fusels are often caused by ferm temps that were too high. A few questions: What strain of yeast did you use? What were your ferm temps? What was your OG? What was your last SG reading?
I used Nottingham yeast eg11 or something like that. The ferm temp was between 59-61. OG was 1.041 last nights SG was 1.011 which has been for a few days. It didnt really taste bad but did taste like rubbing alcohol. I am planning on leaving it alone until next wednesday so itll be in the carboy for 2 weeks then I will bottle it. I did just realize that it has been getting more sunlight (not direct) the last couple days as well.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
gelatin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

I've seen this or something similar a number of times personally and I ferment low like you. For me, it's always disappeared after just a few days in the bottle.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 51 Posts

Ferm temps are reasonable. Sunlight would likely "skunk" the beer which is a different taste then you are describing, but best not to have it exposed to sun light -- direct or indirect. Lots of factors other than temps which can stress the yeast and cause off flavors. Good news is that most of these will fix themselves over time.

I don't see anything obvious from your posts so I would just let it mellow and it will probably be fine. I suggest the longer the better.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
doubletapbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have the same kit and am brewing on Friday. While we are on the topic of yeast, where did you store the yeast prior to brewing?

Old 01-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
chadthedrunkenbrewer
Recipes 

Anytime that I've had off flavors, a few days in the fridge and they seem to disappear.

Chad
www.beermakingforbeginners.com

Quick Reply