HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Off-flavors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
Slappy White
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Off-flavors?

1.I brewed an Oktoberfest(Ale version) and my hydrometer samples tasted really good when i transfered to my secondary and into the bottling bucket, but after they have been in the bottles for a little over two weeks they have a bad plasticy off-flavor. Does anyone have any clue why this happens? I know my beer hasnt completely finished carbing, but I doubt that really has anything to do with this flavor.
2.All of my extract beers taste very similar...is it bc of the extract or the partial boils?

Thanks

"Good people drink good beer." -Hunter S. Thompson
Apfelwein and beer...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

Carbing is only the first step that happens in the bottles....There is also bottle conditioning (the co2 is needed for that as well)...Most off flavors are because the beer is still green at that point.

Read this....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
Slappy White
Recipes 

Thanks revvy....i have tasted green beer, but this is a very strong plastic taste....much stronger than anything I have tasted...could this still be just green beer? or is there a possibility of infection...im hoping its just green.

Apfelwein and beer...

Old 06-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
Homercidal

Recipes 

Liked 1650 Times on 1197 Posts
Likes Given: 940

Are you using plastic bottles?

Sorry, couldnt' resist. I have not heard of plastic flavor before. Is it a PVC flavor, or more of a PET flavor?

Sorry again... I'm just bad today.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Slappy White
Recipes 

It tastes similar to the plastic hosing that I use to siphon...and it is very strong and up front.

Apfelwein and beer...

Old 06-18-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Some questions.

What styles of beers do you make?
Are you doing extract only or extract with grains?
If you are doing extract with grains, what's your steeping/wort boiling procedure?
How many beers have you run through the tubing/your plastic equipment?
Have the plasticky flavors in the other beers faded with time?
How do you clean your equipment?
What type of sanitizer do you use?
What temps do you ferment at?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 06-18-2008 at 05:55 PM.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #7
Slappy White
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Some questions.

What styles of beers do you make?
How many beers have you run through the tubing/your plastic equipment?
Have the plasticky flavors in the other beers faded with time?
How do you clean your equipment?
What type of sanitizer do you use?
I have done a Steam Ale, Pale Ale, IPA, Blonde, Cream, and a Pumpkin Holiday Ale proir to this. The beer that has the plastic taste is an Oktoberfest. All of these beers have been run through the same tubing/plastic equipment and this is the only one that has tasted like this. I clean my equipment by rinsing and using soap and water where necessary, and then sanitize. I use use C-Brite sanitizer which requires me to rinse after, which I do.

Apfelwein and beer...

Old 06-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy White View Post
I have done a Steam Ale, Pale Ale, IPA, Blonde, Cream, and a Pumpkin Holiday Ale proir to this. The beer that has the plastic taste is an Oktoberfest. All of these beers have been run through the same tubing/plastic equipment and this is the only one that has tasted like this. I clean my equipment by rinsing and using soap and water where necessary, and then sanitize. I use use C-Brite sanitizer which requires me to rinse after, which I do.
Sounds like you have a phenols problem....First off I'd dump using the c-brite or other rinse requiring sanitizer in favor of a no-rinse like iodophor or starsan. For 2 reasons; 1) unless you are rinsing with Distilled, boiled or Bottled (sterile) water you run the risk of introducing any bacteria from the sink or from the water into/onto your equipment. and phenols possibly can be casued by bacteria, often lurking in the hoses...A no rinse like starsan is good for preventing this becasue the foam can reach hard to reach places, like in hoses. (although I use iodophor, which I pump through my hoses...that works too)

Wild yeast contamination can harbor within plastic-based equipment, such as polyethylene fermenters and plastic hoses. These materials as soft and permeable, hence difficult to clean. Wild yeasts such as S. diatatius produce minor wort phenols that impart medicinal off-flavors.

2) Phenolic flavors can also be caused by Chlorophenols which exist in municipal water supplies and residue from chlorine-based sanitizers. They can affect beer in parts-per-billion (ppb)! Avoidance of both should be given; find a substitute water supply and avoid chlorine-based sanitizers altogether.(Is c-brite a chlorine based sanitizer?)

Also;

if you are doing extract with grains, don't let your grain temps go above 170 and never boil your grains...Tannins sometimes are described as plasticky.

Phenols are also derived from certain yeast strains that produce aromatic alcohols. Bavarian wheat beers produce acceptable levels of phenols. It could be simply the yeast you are using in your Oktoberfest, what type is it?

Here's a good article on Phenolic tastes in beer from BYO...

http://byo.com/mrwizard/743.html

Check on your beer in a couple more weeks....if it hasn't faded then it probably is phenols, which means if you don't like it you might want to scrap the batch....

But hopefully we can stop it for the future.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #9
Slappy White
Recipes 

Thanks....I will switch these things for the future and hopefully that will solve the problem. Yes, the C-Brite is a chlorine based sanitizer and the yeast is Muntons ale yeast which is the only option at the brew store. Would a full boil of my water supply be a way to steer clear of these off-flavors or should I try store bought water...or maybe use a water filter?

Apfelwein and beer...

Old 06-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy White View Post
Thanks....I will switch these things for the future and hopefully that will solve the problem. Yes, the C-Brite is a chlorine based sanitizer and the yeast is Muntons ale yeast which is the only option at the brew store. Would a full boil of my water supply be a way to steer clear of these off-flavors or should I try store bought water...or maybe use a water filter?
Boiling and cooling would work...but it's a pain. I use tap water all the time and don't notice it.

I would switch one variable first...like switching sanitizers, and see if it is fine then.... Since it could be either the chlorine of the c-brite or the inability of the c-brite to properly sanitize the hose.

Reducing SOME of the chlorine (like with the sanitizer) might be enough.

Quick Reply