The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Off Flavor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
ian3588
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Off Flavor

I brewed a Murphy's Stout all grain Clone 4 weeks ago. I had it in the primary for 9 days and racked to secondary for 8 days. I was following what Beersmith program had me do. After some research I learned to keep it in secondary longer. After 2 weeks in bottling the beer kind of tastes "grainy" "Sour" and a little like soap. I think that it is bc of my bottling process. I use star san and hot water to fill up my bottle and pour it out and then fill and cap my bottle. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

First off give it at least another week, more than likely what you're tasting is simply that the beer is still green, and the "sourness" that you perceive is actually carbolic bite, co2 tends to have a sour "tang" to it, and since you beer more than likely isn't fully carbed, you're tasting the free floating co2 in the headspace. The co2 needs to fully develop, and then chilling gets it into solution.

We recommend that you wait a minimum of 3 weeks for normal gravity 12 ounce beers that you've stored at or above 70 degrees. Beers stored lower than 70 and bigger beers simply take longer.

If you look at the thousands of threads on here like yours, you will notice the common denominator among new brewers, almost all of them report that they are opening the beers before three weeks. And they usually come back after and point out that now that the beer has aged, everything is fine.

Time is your friend.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Revvy

Recipes 

The facts that you are drinking a beer that you only brewed 4 weeks ago should be your clue. Especially for a stout. My normal beers are 8 weeks from grain to glass. 4 weeks in some form of extended primary or primary secondary combination, and another 4 weeks to carb and condition in either a bottle or keg.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
ian3588
Recipes 

Thank you very much. Is there such a thing as too much starsan?

Old 03-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian3588 View Post
As long as you emptied the bottle you are fine with starsan (providing you mixed it correctly).

I usually have my wife dunking bottles into a sink full of starsan and then setting them on a bottling tree while I fill the bottles and my friend caps them. They only drain a second or two before I'm filling usually. Everything is fine.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian3588 View Post
Nope, because the minute starsan comes into contact with the yeast it breaks down into many of the same benign compounds found in most soft drinks, and the yeast it it. It is no longer "starsan" as we know it, it's yeast poop. That's why it's a no-rinse sanitizer. It breaks down.

Quick Reply