Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Odor in brewing process?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 12:11 AM   #1
BrosBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Odor in brewing process?

Hello, so I just bought a new brew kit and gonna start to to make the first batch real soon. Just had a question though. So there really isn't a large amount of space in my house to put all this equipment so I was thinking about storing it in my room. How strong is the odor when your actually brewing the beer? Is it too strong to have in living quarters or is it not that bad?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008, 12:32 AM   #2
tranceamerica
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Usually the fermenting beer doesn't smell much at all. Sometimes it will (I'm thinking that my apfelwein was a bit stinky) but you can open your window from time to time if it bothers you. It probably won't .

The brewing process itself (boiling wort and hops) is much more smelly, and you might want to air out the kitchen during the process to avoid annoying your roomates.

Primary: beer, mead, cider

Drinking: beer, mead, cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
...except for this d@mned tail I am fine.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:20 AM   #3
Eves
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am brewing an IPA right now. On days 3-4 after I pitched the yeast the whole floor of house that had the fermenter on it had the nicest aroma I've ever experienced. None of my previous beer had any noticable aroma. I am not sure what the deal was with it but I am looking forward trying it out after I bottle it and condition it.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:53 AM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrosBrew View Post
...Is it too strong to have in living quarters or is it not that bad?
It really depends on if you're a batchelor or not...some yeasts produce a lot of sulphur odor...

Old 05-16-2008, 02:13 AM   #5
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

brewing smells nice, the grains smell like breakfast cereal. fermenting beer usually smells like beer / hops which is nice at least I think so. but some yeasts and under certain conditions produce hydrogen sulfide which smells like rotten eggs and thats bad. but 90% of the time it wont make any unpleasant odors

Old 05-16-2008, 02:57 AM   #6
BrosBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
It really depends on if you're a batchelor or not
Am a bacholar so it doesn't matter that incredibly much but I don't want to smell horrible in the room, at least not to distract the ladies.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
It really depends on if you're a batchelor or not...some yeasts produce a lot of sulphur odor...
Haha +10. To tell you the truth, my brews smelled only if i was really close to it(with the exception of the rhino-farting apfelwein). I also hear that Kolsch yeast produce a lot of sulfury smells
Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Quick Reply