New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > odd taste - quinine?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
rpatton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default odd taste - quinine?

Hi,
I brewed a kit from More Beer, "American Ale", sort of a Sam Adams type beer in theory. Everything seemed to go fine, and I waited it out - has been in bottles for 3 weeks and I gave it a try last night. Well carbonated, and has the right initial taste but there is a strong lingering aftertaste that I'm having a hard time defining and I wonder if it is what everyone means by "green". To me it tastes just a bit like tonic water. Does anyone know what I mean? The beer is drinkable, just kinda hope this odd taste fades after more time. I fermented for 2 weeks, at about 75 deg. F.

Thanks,
Rob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Was the ambient temperature 75 or was the beer at that temperature. I think you fermented a bit hot which can lead to off flavors and estery alcohols, and is likely what you're tasting. Green beer tastes... green. Almost green apple like, so I don't think that's what you're experiencing. Watch those temperatures, as the yeast do like creating their own heat.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
rpatton
Recipes 

Ok, bummer. I wondered about that, and it was the temperature of the beer itself, not ambient. It ranged from 73 to 78. I'll see how my 2nd batch comes out, might have to set up a fridge for fermentation. Thanks!

Quick Reply