The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Odd taste after bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
npoglese
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Odd taste after bottling

Hello Ive been reading these threads for a while and love the great information on here. Thanks for all of your input. My question is that I brewed a amber malt kit and was instructed to use 3.3 lb can hopped LME and use cane sugar for the rest. I now know this was incorrect or at least not optimal for taste after doing more research. Any way after brewing my batch spent 3 weeks in primary and a week in secondary then bottled. I sampled along the way and the beer was beginning to taste awesome you could actually taste the stages as the yeasty taste worked its way out. It took on a nice amber citrous taste due to the yeast used.

However I just opened my first carbonated bottled beer and it tastes kinda sourish not at all like it used to taste, not so much yeasty but like its back in wort flavor prior to fermention. They were bottled 2 weeks ago. The bottle was nicely carbonated and there is minimal sediment in the bottle. Where could this taste have come from. I use glass bottles they are all new and were sanitized along with the bottle caps prior to use.

I understand the ingredients used and method made a weaker not as full flavored beer, however this aside at one point it was beginning to taste really good and it somehow did a 180 any input.

thanks in advance Neil

Last edited by npoglese; 10-14-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

Does it have a wet cardboard flavor? Astringent,like sucking on a tea bag? Or tartness,like grapefruit? What quality of sour exactly?

Old 10-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
npoglese
Recipes 

more of a sour like a bad orange or grapefruit but mixed with skunked beer. Im working on having other people sample it and get a more accurate description of the taste.

Last edited by npoglese; 10-14-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

did you store the bottled beers in covered boxes? if you didn't,light will skunk them while they condition.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
npoglese
Recipes 

they have been in brown bottles on a shelf in my basement in the corner there is a window in the basement but the beer is tucked around the corner in a dark spot that maintains 60-65 degrees

Old 10-15-2011, 01:38 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

The sourness could just be the co2 that hasn't yet fully gone into solution. People often mistake co2 for a beer being sour.

Your beer actually needs to be above 70 for about three weeks (min) to fully carb and condiion....at 60-65 the beer will still need several weeks to get their. I suggest that you stop drinking anymore til they are truly done, and that you get them out of the basement for a couple more weeks into someplace above 70.

Then come back and see if the beer is not to your liking.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
npoglese
Recipes 

ok i did not know that about the carbonation process and temp range thank you

Quick Reply