Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > This is odd, STRONG chlorine smell when cleaning bucket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
AugustDerleth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default This is odd, STRONG chlorine smell when cleaning bucket

Okay so I just bought a polyethylene bucket that has the same number 2 as my food grade buckets and I'm fairly certain that this bucket is food-grade. I poured, actually quite a bit, of iodine into the bucket and filled it with the hose. There was a STRONG STRONG smell of chlorine, bordering on vinegar but the water alone has no stench. I went inside to let it sit for 2 minutes and sani, and the smell is still in my nose. What the hell just happened?! Is this just what iodine smells like in very strong concentrations? Or is there something else going on?

Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, S.O.F. Ale, D.C.O.S., AAA2, AAA3, OSS, SS211, DPDB, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Arachnid Brown Ale, Oktoberfeast, Apple Cider1, Apple Cider2, AAA1

SWIBA: (She Who Is Bad Ass) bought me a 6gal Better Bottle! Excellent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
Smokeater233
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Did you clean the bucket out before the iodine was added? Any chance bleach had previously been in the bucket - i.e. was it used before?

Old 10-01-2010, 01:52 AM   #3
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeater233 View Post
Did you clean the bucket out before the iodine was added? Any chance bleach had previously been in the bucket - i.e. was it used before?
I sprayed it with a very narrow-streamed nozzle on a garden hose, so it sprayed the inside out very hard and no it was brand new! I actually opened another bottle of Iodophor and it smelled similar but not as bad. I'm concerned at this point.
Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, S.O.F. Ale, D.C.O.S., AAA2, AAA3, OSS, SS211, DPDB, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Arachnid Brown Ale, Oktoberfeast, Apple Cider1, Apple Cider2, AAA1

Old 10-01-2010, 02:00 AM   #4
Smokeater233
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Any chance you got the PH dipsticks with the iodophor? Might tell you if you have the right quantities and the iodophor is doing what it's supposed to be.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #5
Smokeater233
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

August - check this out...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/iodophor-concentration-128323/

Old 10-01-2010, 02:09 AM   #6
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Damn! Well, it sounds/smells like I over-did it on the BTF. I've never actually measured with caps, just "Hmmm that looks about right." I just had a small amount left in a bottle and dumped it all in. I'm fairly certain it was just too much iodophor in the bucket which caused the smell. Thanks for that link!

Old 10-01-2010, 02:31 AM   #7
Smokeater233
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I know from other research I've done that over concentrations of iodophor can impart some off flavors or unnatural sensations on the palate. I guess you'll have to let us know how it all turns out...but good luck with the brew and keep us posted, I'm very interested in your results.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:41 AM   #8
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I know from other research I've done that over concentrations of iodophor can impart some off flavors or unnatural sensations on the palate. I guess you'll have to let us know how it all turns out...but good luck with the brew and keep us posted, I'm very interested in your results.
I will update! One thing already, after I added the raspberries I could see this odd film on the top of the bucket in certain areas. I chalked this up to very minute amounts of vodka still clinging to the raspberries, but it may very well have been excess iodophor! grrrrr. I'll update upon racking (and sampling) and let you know how it's coming along. Thanks!

Quick Reply