Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Obvious trick I found - just a quick tip

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 12:14 AM   #1
landhoney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Obvious trick I found - just a quick tip

I brew AG 5 gal batches in 6.5 gal carboys. I don't have a blowoff tube setup because I....don't know why actually. Anyway, a couple big beers have crept into the airlock, but nothing too bad until today. I brewed one of Brewpastor's RIS's and re-used a Brit. Ale yeast cake. It just kept foaming into the airlck and I didn't know what to do but clean and replace. It got old quick, and then I did what any kid would do when their soda was foaming over - I sucked off the foam, but I used a wine thief. I just stuck it down into the carboy and sucked off the top foam/krausen - still a lot left below. Maybe not the best, but if you don't have a blowoff setup it might help save a headache. I haven't seen anyone mention doing this even though it is fairly obvious in hindsight. Yes, I need to get a blowoff tube, etc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2007, 03:19 AM   #2
Rook
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Maybe something in the foam you actually want in the beer? Just a thought...

Old 05-24-2007, 03:44 AM   #3
rotary_full
Recipes 

i also brew 5 gal. batches in a 6.5 gal. carboy.... any problem in this????? I only use the 6.5 for a primary, and then I transfer it to the 5 gal. secondary. Would it be better to just use the 5 gal. with a blow off tube?

Old 05-24-2007, 04:00 AM   #4
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just stick your racking tube into your airlock hole and you have a makeshift blowoff.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 05-24-2007, 04:08 AM   #5
Cap'n Jewbeard

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Nice- those are all fairly good ideas...

I've never tried sucking off the foam. Does it help over the course of a couple of days?

Also- doing primary in a 6.5 carboy is perfectly fine- it's prevented many an explosion for me.

Primary/Lagering: April-zen Festbier
Drinking: Starburn Spiced Amber
Drinking: Regulus Rye/Wheat with a bite
Drinking: George Takei's O My-bock

Old 05-24-2007, 11:04 PM   #6
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with putting 5gal into a 6.5gal carboy for the primary ferm. I was just saying that for this batch I needed a blowoff tube but didn't have one. Sucking 3/4 of a wine thief of foam once has prevented anymore foam getting into the airlock. Ferm has slowed now though. I did this at around peak ferm time.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:30 AM   #7
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

6.5 gallon carboy is preferable for primary.

i don't really understand this...blow-off tubes are sooooo easy! i'd want that foam to stay in my brew

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-25-2007, 02:37 AM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Go Lowe's tomorrow. Plumbing section. 3/4" outer diameter clear vynil tubing is like $2.49 a foot. Cut off a 5 foot hunk and you're done.

I learned the hard way with a Belgian Wit yeast.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 05-25-2007, 02:49 AM   #9
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer
6.5 gallon carboy is preferable for primary.

i don't really understand this...blow-off tubes are sooooo easy! i'd want that foam to stay in my brew
So you're supposed to put the stuff that 'blows off' from the tube back in the beer? I'm not super crazy about sanitation, but this seems weird to me. BTW I would guess I removed maybe 1/8 of the total foam, no more. I have many different size racking tubes, I can fit one into the stopper, I guess it won't clog like an airlock could - even though they're the same diameter? I guess like BierMuncher said, 3/4 is the way to go. I guess then I'd have to use the carboy caps and not the stoppers.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:52 AM   #10
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

no, no, no...don't put it back in the beer. if you use a blow-off tube, it will probably never leave your brew. it allows more pressure to be releaved and you won't get the foam up like you would with an airlock.

what i do is use a stopper and a tube that fits inside it. sanitize all this and run the tube from the stopper into a container of water with a bit of sanitizing solution in it. then sit back and watch er bubble

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Quick Reply