Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Obsession is right

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
SkippyWilliams
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Obsession is right

I have 2 brews under my belt in the last 6 weeks. One is an IPA which was bottled 2 weeks ago and the other that is fermenting now is a Nut Brown Ale. Let me tell you I am so obsessed with this hobby already. I have a few books on brewing, a list of favorite websites marked and telling my wife to keep an eye out for coolers so I can build a MLT. She laughs because I talk about brewing beer so much now. I have the HomeBrewTalk app on my phone, brew book on the toilet so I can read on the throne and I usually have at least 3 websites up on my computer at any given time. I am always thinking about how to build up the pipeline to keep it flowing. The only thing I am disappointed in with this new hobby is that I didn’t start doing it years ago.

Also while I am on this roll I just wanted to say thank you for this awesome group that I have and will continue to learn from. I love this site and yes I will be paying for my membership soon. Something this good should have some money thrown to it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
WhiteEagle1
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Well said! Sounds all too familiar!!

Luck is for People who need Luck.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
Atonk
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I brewed my first batch 16 years ago from a book I found. The resources available now are astounding; websites, books and newspapers all available anywhere (even the throne)! I definitely agree - this site in particular is invaluable.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #4
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteEagle1
Sounds all too familiar!!
+1. I hear you, man! Great hob-session, awesome site!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:24 AM   #5
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Ummmm, that would be a hell yeah!!!! I only have one completed brew, but I have already started to gather the all grain equipment. Bought a burner and 60 Qt pot today. Building a three tier sculpture already (I'm a welder by trade) and looking for a 10 gallon igloo for a MLT.. I have it bad, I wake up and write down recipes and design improvements on my sculpture. It's like crack, once you get a taste it never enough again...But I'm like the OP, I thank all of you guys and gals that helped me get interested and them that keep me interested and those who will invariably help me drink it and offer their critiques. It is 100% fun. If you dont count the pennies too close and try to save too much it is the most enjoyable way to spend an afternoon I have had in a good long while. And it really is cheaper than a lot of hobbies like shooting, archery, hunting, metal working, and scuba diving. I did all of that in the past so I know what each of them costs over time. I still metal work and do ornamental iron, so now I can build a really cool loking beer tower with trick systems and improvements. The sky is truly the limit. Have fun and enjoy the addiction.
Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 02-11-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

i hear ya bro! :rocking: it's why i think that's the favorite of my hobbies. it's definitely one where the outcome is most rewarding. and it's definitely something you can dive into from all aspects. there's the DIY, the beer, the scientific side, the beer, the culinary art of brewing, the beer.... well, you get the idea!
welcome to the hobby, man!

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:36 AM   #7
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 28 Posts

I love this hobby for many reasons. I literally started on 1/12/12 and have already brewed 5 batches...The 6th will be this weekend. I'm HOOKED. I've always felt comfortable in the kitchen. I like to think I'm a pretty darn good cook. Couple that with the fact that I love good beer and....Bam....Home brewing caught my interest and the rest is history. I can't wait until I'm good/comfortable enough that I can start to create my own beers, like I do my own dishes. Here's to the craft!

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Old 02-11-2012, 02:12 AM   #8
indyabn
Recipes 

Me too!! I'm just doing extract at the moment to get comfortable with the process. Looking at all grain summertime. I love cooking... Taking a hamburger helper adding some cheese, salsa and so on and the kids get upset when there's no more. But this is better I can take a beer I like, play with it until it's a masterpiece.... And it's beer!!!! Never go wrong with that

Old 02-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
jcotner45
Recipes 

I will definately have to agree with the part about this is like crack. My wife bought me a simple little extract brewing kit for Christmas 2011 and holly ****, it was on from there! We brewed our first batch the day after Christmas and as of now we have brewed four extract batches and just did our second all grain batch. She laughs at me because I cant stop talking about ideas and ways to improve our batches. I will have to say, she is the coolest wife ever, she fully supports me in this. I never have to ask twice to buy a new brew toy. She rocks !! But dont fool yourself, she can drink as much as I can.

We just recently built a three tier brewing stand and she helped me the whole time. I attached a picture of it in case anyone cares. So basically my point is, I LOVE THIS ****!!!

Welcome to that brew family, cheers!

home-brew-stand.jpg  

Old 02-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Disintegr8or
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffoC6 View Post
I love this hobby for many reasons. I literally started on 1/12/12 and have already brewed 5 batches...The 6th will be this weekend. I'm HOOKED. I've always felt comfortable in the kitchen. I like to think I'm a pretty darn good cook. Couple that with the fact that I love good beer and....Bam....Home brewing caught my interest and the rest is history. I can't wait until I'm good/comfortable enough that I can start to create my own beers, like I do my own dishes. Here's to the craft!
Damn, you aren't wasting any time at all!

My first brew was a NB extract kit on 10-16-11.

Now all I think about, read about, or look for when I am out and about is brewing related. I even built a single vessel "brewery" in my house.

It's my most favorite hobby yet, and one that I can see being in till the day I die.

Quick Reply