Observations from First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
1. Glass carboys are scary!

2. My stove struggled to get 3 gallons to boil. Next time I will use the lid until I reach rolling boil then remove or at least partially cover. I have read Palmer's section on boiling multiple times so I realize to watch like a hawk for BO's and noted his concerns of lids and sulfides.

3. My LHBS sold me a metal mesh ball for my hops. They said it was great for 1 oz. of pellet hops. The hops indeed fit well but suprised me when it floated. I submerged it multiple times with my spoon and it always came back to the surface so I assumed that was normal.

4. When I immersed the copper wort chiller in the pot for the last 20 min it took very little time for the boil to resume and the wort boiled much more evenly as though the wort chiller was distributing the heat. Am considering putting chiller in the pot from the beginning. Also, after chiller insertion and boil resumed, the hops sank to the botom. I checked to make sure the little chain on the mesh ball didn't snag on the chiller and it did not. Maybe hops floating isn't normal.

5. OG was high, 1.052, box kit from Northern Brewer said it should be 1.040 (Irish Red) but I did a partial boil, added the wort to water already in the carboy. I don't think mixed the wort and the water fully. Also took reading after pitching rehydrated yeast. Next time better stir and reading first, then pitch yeast.

6. In all my reading I never saw anything concerning fermentation tempertures until I read this forum. Placed primary (6 gal carboy with blowoff tube) in the basement on my workbench. Temps were on the high end for the Nottingham dry yeast and rose above 70F couple times. Need to purchase a tub to hold primary in a water bath.

7. Day's 9 & 10 days SG reading was 1.012, so it went to secondary. Even after a couple practice runs with water earlier in the week I didn't get a strong siphon flow after first 2 pumps. It dribbled for a while then quit. Hope I didn't add too much O2. Gave the auto siphon a longer strong pump and got a strong flow. Won't baby it next time. Used a couple of santitized cable ties with loose ends perpendicular to act like wings on the auto siphon and pulled them just snug. They slid up and down the auto siphon tube and rested on the mouth of the carboy holding it off the bottom with no hands. I couldn't see through the beer to gauge height of yeast cake and tube tip until the level dropped. As the level in the carboy dropped I was able to slide the siphon down further without pushing it into the trub. Very successful at getting almost all the liquid out with no gunk. Proud of myself!!

Sorry this got so long. Hope this might help other noobs

Impressive. You seem like an old hand at this after just one brew. Better get another one going, cause when you crack the first one it will go fast.

Sean

Congrats on your first brew! I just did an Irish red from Northern Brewer as well. I did a full boil, and OG came out at 1.044. I also put the recipe in Beer Smith, and it said 1.044. You probably didn't mix well enough before taking a reading.

Mine fermented out in 3 days flat. I'm debating whether I should secondary it after a week, or just leave it in the primary for a couple weeks.

I did the irish red too a week ago last wednesday, and it took 3 days to get bubbling, bubbled hard another 3 days, and stopped completely just like that. Wednesday night it smelled fantastic and the krausen fell, but I'm giving it another week or two in my primary just s'cuz. I could secondary, but most people here say it's not really vital. Besides, I want to use the glass carboy for my apfelwein I'm starting tomorrow.

Beersmith told me 1.044, and after adjusting for temperature (70* instead of 60* on my SG reading), it came out to 1.045, which is pretty damn close.

I just wish that I had remembered the f*cking irish moss.

Back