Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Are oatmeal stouts "beginner"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
bobeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

My first all grain was an oatmeal chocolate stout. It was pretty easy and fun!!

Bottled: Bourbon Oak Brolic Strong ale
On Deck: VTipa, Stocious Stout, Pumpkin your Pie ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
GeorgiaTiger
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Maybe Im still too new for this...I read the Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and I just dont understand the vernacular as well as I should I guess. I want to do this, but I want to do it right. Jesus I have a lot to learn.

Allen
"Im an airlock sniffer...I sniff airlocks"
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2 (LBK): Empty
On Deck - IPA of some sort
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Old 12-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1576 Times on 1126 Posts
Likes Given: 650

Oats (wouldn't be an oatmeal stout without them) technically require mashing. To really do it right, a mash would be required. Whether it's all grain or partial mash doesn't matter, just need enzymes to convert the starch in the oats.

That said, you can get away with steeping them. You won't get any extra fermentables from them, but you should be able to get some beta-glucans and that little bit of flavor. It won't be as good as if they were mashed, but it's doable. You'll get haze from the oats being unconverted, which in a stout isn't really an issue like it would be in a lighter beer. I believe the unconverted starches would also make it more susceptible to an infection, but as long as you're very thorough with your sanitation (as you should be anyway), that shouldn't be an issue.

Up Next: Flanders Red, Belgian IPA
Primary: Malt Liquor, Wild Cider, English Cider
Souring: Lamebic, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English IPA
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5, Best Bitter, Spiced Winter Warmer
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 12-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
TINMANBrew
Recipes 

My first stout was a real cheap extract kit from Northern Brewer. Dry Irish stout, came out pretty dang good! As for partial mash kits, I only did one (in my opinion, a huge waste of time!) moved straight to AG. I have a milk stout in my secondary now ready to bottle/ keg. I think you should look at the ingredients in a kit and cut it in half or third to fit your fermenter! Good luck, you can do it!

Old 12-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

No, a style is a style is a style. In terms of difficulty, unless you're getting into all grain brewing and doing things like "abrew in a bag triple decoction with a step infusion and a mashout" then one recipe is no more complicated than any other, especially if you are starting out by doing an extract with steeping grains recipe.

Your grain bill might be different for different recipes, but what you with them (the process) will be the same, which is something akin to "steep grains for x minutes, in y gallons of water, remove grains bring to boil, add extract and hops as directed, cool, transfer to ferment, pitch yeast and relax."

And if you come upon a kit that says "abrew in a bag triple decoction with a step infusion and a mashout", and you don't understand what it means, then you're not ready for it yet. But you will be later.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #16
ddrrseio
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

as others have said, just go for it! plenty of oatmeal stouts should be pretty easy to brew.

if you've had barney flat's oatmeal stout and liked it, you might try making that beer. the recipe the brewery used is floating around on a few threads. it's a really, really good beer.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #17
dfarm
Recipes 

I hope it is! My first batch of beer ever is in my primary now, and it is a one gallon, all grain oatmeal stout kit from ahs. It was done BIAB (im still not clear on the difference between this and mashing), and I'm hopeful that it'll turn out ok. I'll report back in a few weeks! Lol

Old 12-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #18
GeorgiaTiger
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 70

good luck! I am starting an oatmeal stout tonight!

Allen
"Im an airlock sniffer...I sniff airlocks"
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2 (LBK): Empty
On Deck - IPA of some sort
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #19
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1576 Times on 1126 Posts
Likes Given: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarm View Post
I hope it is! My first batch of beer ever is in my primary now, and it is a one gallon, all grain oatmeal stout kit from ahs. It was done BIAB (im still not clear on the difference between this and mashing), and I'm hopeful that it'll turn out ok. I'll report back in a few weeks! Lol
BIAB mashing is still mashing. The underlying biochemical processes you're enabling are the same. The only difference is in the actual brewing process, and even then the differences aren't huge.

Up Next: Flanders Red, Belgian IPA
Primary: Malt Liquor, Wild Cider, English Cider
Souring: Lamebic, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English IPA
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5, Best Bitter, Spiced Winter Warmer
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 12-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #20
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Find a kit or a recipe and go for it.
If you have any questions...BEFORE you start is the best time to ask.

bosco

Quick Reply