New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Oatmeal stout turns to brown ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 04:05 AM   #1
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2443 Times on 1423 Posts
Likes Given: 5657

Default Oatmeal stout turns to brown ale

So my first brew ever was supposed to be an oatmeal stout, but I realized a few days ago that instead of dark extract, like the recipe called for, I used amber extract. So that got me worried about what kind of beer it would turn out to be. My fears were laid to rest just now when I took a gravity to make sure I will be ready to bottle tomorrow. Based on the OG, FG, color and calculated IBUs, it's going to be a brown ale, which I tend to enjoy. What's more, upon taste testing, it reminded me a lot of Newcastle. So hopefully it will stay that way once it's done and I will have an accidental Newcastle clone recipe. Wouldn't that be exciting, huh? I imagine you all are probably not interested in hearing about the screwups of a new brewer, but I am excited that it's going to turn out good despite my lack of attention to detail.

-AJ

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 04:29 AM   #2
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Welcome to the wonderful world of brewing!!!!
Enjoy
JJ

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 10-12-2008, 04:38 AM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

That's what's great about brewing and different styles. If you do something unintended, it's not a mistake. You just make another beer without knowing it.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 10-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Amazing what can go wrong and you still have beer!

There have been many a brew entered in competitions that would have fared better in a different style. My first judging was Bitters. The best tasting beer of the batch got a very low score. If it had been entered as a Mild, it probably would have placed in the top three overall. It was a great Mild.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply