oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek224

Reaction score
looking at brewing an oatmeal stout. This will be my first stout and 4th overall batch. I will be kegging this also. My question is with this particular type of beer how long should I leave in the primary and should I use a secondary if so how long in 1 or the other or both? Also is there any other special thing I should be aware of with this type? One last thing after kegged how long should I wait to drink?

Stouts are actually much more forgiving than lighter bodied beers in my experience. Let it primary for 3-4 weeks, I don't use a secondary but you could, if you desire, for a couple more weeks. As far as kegging, not my bag, but from reading here a week in the keg should be sufficient but you can let it ride there for as long as you'd like.

Cheers!

For my oatmeal stout, I leave it in the fermenter about 10-14 days before kegging. Once kegged, it takes about 2 weeks to smooth out a bit, and then in about another week or so it's perfect.

A question as I'll eventually do an oat stout, probably imperial. Do you add the oats in with the specialty grains as well?

For my oatmeal stout, I leave it in the fermenter about 10-14 days before kegging. Once kegged, it takes about 2 weeks to smooth out a bit, and then in about another week or so it's perfect.

my standard on stouts is about the same. I do 2 weeks primary, a week or so secondary (there's often a huge pile of crud on the bottom of the fermenter) then into the keg. The quality really hits a plateau about 8 weeks from brew day. It stays nice for quite some time after that due to the beefy ingredient list.

A question as I'll eventually do an oat stout, probably imperial. Do you add the oats in with the specialty grains as well?

Are you doing a partial mash or all grain version? I've only done all grain so I have a mash schedule built around that. I'm not sure exactly what the procedure would be for a BIAB or partial grain batch.

Keep in mind that it's hard to get the right flavors from oats if you're just steeping them. You really should be mashing them. Mashing isn't much different from steeping, but it is important to know the difference!

A pre-cook on the oats might be a good idea. Think thin porridge. If you give it a decent boil you can start the starch breakdown before going into the bag (assuming a partial grain/BIAB brew procees)

I brewed up an oatmeal stout (1.064) on 6/24, I moved into Keg after 21 days on 7/14 for natural carbonation (1.018). I tasted some on Sunday after a week of carbonating and its very drinkable, although I think it could benefit from an additional few weeks. I want it to be better than 'drinkable'.

So the answer is I could have been drinking good drinkable oatmeal stout in the keg after 4 weeks, but I think I am going to give it 6-8 weeks minimum, because I want to enjoy it at a point where it is better than 'drinkable', and after tasting I know it will get there.

I toasted my oatmeal in the oven at 250* for 15 minutes to bring out some toasty flavor and then mashed. I haven't compared toasting and not toasting so I don't know what difference it makes.

brycelarson said:
my standard on stouts is about the same. I do 2 weeks primary, a week or so secondary (there's often a huge pile of crud on the bottom of the fermenter) then into the keg. The quality really hits a plateau about 8 weeks from brew day. It stays nice for quite some time after that due to the beefy ingredient list.

Are you doing a partial mash or all grain version? I've only done all grain so I have a mash schedule built around that. I'm not sure exactly what the procedure would be for a BIAB or partial grain batch.

Right now I do partial with extract. So that's. I've done 3 batches and they have all had specialty grains. All grain in the future, maybe next year when I do make this?

Right now I do partial with extract. So that's. I've done 3 batches and they have all had specialty grains. All grain in the future, maybe next year when I do make this?

Sorry to keep harping on this, but are you steeping for about 30 minutes in about a gallon of water per pound of grain, or are you mashing for longer in more like 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain?

This will make a difference with oats.

When you're selecting ingredients be sure to get the flaked oats. Those are already pre-converted which will let you use them without a full mash.

haven't started the brew as of yet I'm looking on suggestions as this is my first stout. I was thinking about steeping to begin with simply because I have never mashed and don't know what's involved

KISS Brew said:
Sorry to keep harping on this, but are you steeping for about 30 minutes in about a gallon of water per pound of grain, or are you mashing for longer in more like 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain?

This will make a difference with oats.

Steeping for 30 mins in about 2 gallon of my specialty malts/grains. No mashing not doing AG yet.

derek224 said:
haven't started the brew as of yet I'm looking on suggestions as this is my first stout. I was thinking about steeping to begin with simply because I have never mashed and don't know what's involved

Sorry I kind of jacked your thread, but good I did and ask that ? Hope that will help you out with the responses from these guys.

I've considered doing an oatmeal stout (extract) myself and only steeping the oats. I'm more interested in achieving that smooth mouth feel than I am in converting all of the sugars. I'll definitely keep my eye on this one as the experts weigh in...

just a quick update to anyone interested. The oatmeal stout has been kegged for 2 weeks and is starting to really mellow and taste great!!! Being my first brew in a while (years) i'm thinking of getting an oatmeal stout to compare it to. Either way I'm pretty happy with the current outcome and have a blue moon clone and a fat tire style beer in fermenters now. Needless to say I'm hooked on brewing!!

just a quick update to anyone interested. The oatmeal stout has been kegged for 2 weeks and is starting to really mellow and taste great!!! Being my first brew in a while (years) i'm thinking of getting an oatmeal stout to compare it to. Either way I'm pretty happy with the current outcome and have a blue moon clone and a fat tire style beer in fermenters now. Needless to say I'm hooked on brewing!!

But the question is, how many empty fermenters do you have? When time allows me to brew I like to have 2 or 3 batches all in fermenters at once. Enjoy your oatmeal stout and here's a toast to many more!:mug:

Back