The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > oatmeal stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #1
derek224
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default oatmeal stout

looking at brewing an oatmeal stout. This will be my first stout and 4th overall batch. I will be kegging this also. My question is with this particular type of beer how long should I leave in the primary and should I use a secondary if so how long in 1 or the other or both? Also is there any other special thing I should be aware of with this type? One last thing after kegged how long should I wait to drink?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
jmprdood
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

Stouts are actually much more forgiving than lighter bodied beers in my experience. Let it primary for 3-4 weeks, I don't use a secondary but you could, if you desire, for a couple more weeks. As far as kegging, not my bag, but from reading here a week in the keg should be sufficient but you can let it ride there for as long as you'd like.

Cheers!

If you're stupid, you have to be tough.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

For my oatmeal stout, I leave it in the fermenter about 10-14 days before kegging. Once kegged, it takes about 2 weeks to smooth out a bit, and then in about another week or so it's perfect.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

A question as I'll eventually do an oat stout, probably imperial. Do you add the oats in with the specialty grains as well?

Old 07-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweed View Post
A question as I'll eventually do an oat stout, probably imperial. Do you add the oats in with the specialty grains as well?
Yes. The oats are mashed with the rest of the grain.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
For my oatmeal stout, I leave it in the fermenter about 10-14 days before kegging. Once kegged, it takes about 2 weeks to smooth out a bit, and then in about another week or so it's perfect.
my standard on stouts is about the same. I do 2 weeks primary, a week or so secondary (there's often a huge pile of crud on the bottom of the fermenter) then into the keg. The quality really hits a plateau about 8 weeks from brew day. It stays nice for quite some time after that due to the beefy ingredient list.

Quote:
Are you doing a partial mash or all grain version? I've only done all grain so I have a mash schedule built around that. I'm not sure exactly what the procedure would be for a BIAB or partial grain batch.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Keep in mind that it's hard to get the right flavors from oats if you're just steeping them. You really should be mashing them. Mashing isn't much different from steeping, but it is important to know the difference!

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 07-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 15

A pre-cook on the oats might be a good idea. Think thin porridge. If you give it a decent boil you can start the starch breakdown before going into the bag (assuming a partial grain/BIAB brew procees)

Old 07-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I brewed up an oatmeal stout (1.064) on 6/24, I moved into Keg after 21 days on 7/14 for natural carbonation (1.018). I tasted some on Sunday after a week of carbonating and its very drinkable, although I think it could benefit from an additional few weeks. I want it to be better than 'drinkable'.

So the answer is I could have been drinking good drinkable oatmeal stout in the keg after 4 weeks, but I think I am going to give it 6-8 weeks minimum, because I want to enjoy it at a point where it is better than 'drinkable', and after tasting I know it will get there.

I toasted my oatmeal in the oven at 250* for 15 minutes to bring out some toasty flavor and then mashed. I haven't compared toasting and not toasting so I don't know what difference it makes.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelarson

my standard on stouts is about the same. I do 2 weeks primary, a week or so secondary (there's often a huge pile of crud on the bottom of the fermenter) then into the keg. The quality really hits a plateau about 8 weeks from brew day. It stays nice for quite some time after that due to the beefy ingredient list.

Are you doing a partial mash or all grain version? I've only done all grain so I have a mash schedule built around that. I'm not sure exactly what the procedure would be for a BIAB or partial grain batch.
Right now I do partial with extract. So that's. I've done 3 batches and they have all had specialty grains. All grain in the future, maybe next year when I do make this?

Quick Reply