Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Oaking AHS Yeti Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2010, 02:33 AM   #1
goggledone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oaking AHS Yeti Clone

I've found a good bit of information on oaking stouts in the forum so far, but would like to ask a few questions:

I'm looking to get close to Oak Aged Yeti or Espresso Oak Aged Yeti if I can.

1. I have both French and American oak chips. How much of each for a 5 gallon batch? If I don't get close to GD's formula I'd like the oak to be more on the subtle side.

2. Would it be advisable to soak the oak chips in my absolute favorite bourbon (Knob Creek)? I think so, but would like advice. If so, pour the bourbon in with the chips or leave it out? (Don't want bourbon to be super strong.)

3. If I were to add espresso, what's the best way? Cold brewed at bottling? Coarse grinds in secondary?

Thank you for your infinite wisdom. That is all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
StoutattheDevil
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would use 1oz French lite toast oak chips if you don't want the oak taste too heavy. I would also soak the chips in the burbon and pour off what doesn't get soaked I'm before adding into secondary. Again this will add the flavor and some aroma without making the burbon taste too strong. As far as the coffee goes, your going to get 50 different opinions on this as it's as easy as asking someone favorite actor and expecting one response from all... Personally I would cold brew the coffee over night and add it into the secondary. This gets the best flavor extraction out of the coffee without the riam of the charred taste to it. Just my two cents, good luck, sounds like a fun clone.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
goggledone
Recipes 

Thank you, sir. I lived in Ann Arbor for about 6 months growing up. Very Cool town. Probably the best college town in the states! Don't miss the winter though.

How long do you suggest keeping the chips in the secondary for? A week sufficient?

Old 12-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bump - im doing this now... how did yours turn out?

Old 12-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
goggledone
Recipes 

Slightly overcarbonated, but that had nothing to do with the oaking.

I ended up soaking 1.5 oz of American and french chips in Knob Creek for three weeks during primary fermentation. I think if I did it over again I'd just steam the chips or soak them for less time since the bourbon is a little stronger than I'd have liked it to turn out in the end product.

I ended up skipping the espresso since I didn't feel like buying a cold press. Kinda of regret it, though!

That being said I also had little intention of doing a bourbon oaked stout. I'd do it again!

Old 12-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I threw 3 shots of espresso into the boil last 5 min and i just racked to 2ndary on top of the bourbon oak and wow its tastes SOOO good, you can definitely taste the espresso. You could actually call it an espresso stout as of right now. I hope my oak does give a bourbon taste, i added 2 shots of the oaky bourbon to the 2ndary as well. Smells amazing, as excited about this one as i was my 1st brew!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by goggledone View Post
Slightly overcarbonated, but that had nothing to do with the oaking.

I ended up soaking 1.5 oz of American and french chips in Knob Creek for three weeks during primary fermentation. I think if I did it over again I'd just steam the chips or soak them for less time since the bourbon is a little stronger than I'd have liked it to turn out in the end product.

I ended up skipping the espresso since I didn't feel like buying a cold press. Kinda of regret it, though!

That being said I also had little intention of doing a bourbon oaked stout. I'd do it again!

Did you pour the excess bourbon out before throwing the chips into the fermenter as Stoutatthedevil suggested? This makes a huge difference.

Also, did you end up using chips or cubes? I know that you didn't mention cubes, but I think if you're going to age an Imperial Stout, you probably should use cubes instead of chips. You would be able to age for months at a time with cubes instead of days or weeks with chips. Cubes also supposedly release a more complex flavor.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 01-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
goggledone
Recipes 

Poured out the excess bourbon. If I hadn't that would have been waaay overpowering. Used chips, too. It's been getting a whole lot better over the months. I wouldn't not recommend it. I was just saying my preference would have been a little less bourbon-y and maybe have some espresso.

All I meant to say is I would refine it to my tastes more when I do it again. I'm still really enjoying them though!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
Apendecto
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

What was the recipe? Nothing beats some Oaked Yeti.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:36 AM   #10
smears
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apendecto View Post
What was the recipe? Nothing beats some Oaked Yeti.

Yes this please.

Quick Reply