Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > O.G. Readings Lower Than Listed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
BrewMasta
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default O.G. Readings Lower Than Listed

Just finished brewing my second batch of beer yesterday in the AM, my concern is that even though I followed the instructions to the letter my O.G. was lower than what the kit listed. My first kit was the NB Caribou Slobber with an O.G. Of 1.042, which should have been 1.052, and then brewed the t-can & Bearcats wheat ale which should have had a O.G. Of 1.045, but was tested, and had a O.G. Of 1.036. What could be the issue or issues here. My final gravity on the slobber was 1.013 which was in the expected range. Maybe I should stop testing the O.G. At the start.

" life is like a case of beer, you must enjoy it every day"

- ToastedBlonde Ale in Bottles
- Zesty Pale Ale in primary #1
- Belma 60 IPA in primary #2
- Belgian Wheat IPA in primary #3
- White IPA on deck
- ESB on deck

* Member of the Maniacal Association of Shoreline Home-brewers, CT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
rklinck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 49

If these are extract kits and you did not do a full 5 gallon boil, it is probably just that the top off water did not get mixed in completely. There is a thread about lo OGs for extract kits.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
cullen
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

With extract brewing, there are really only 4 things that can affect the OG:

1. The wort is not well enough mixed, and the sample is slightly less dense than the wort at the bottom of the fermenter. This is nothing to worry about.

2. There's something wrong with your specific gravity measurements. Either the hydrometer is not calibrated or you are not properly compensating for temperature.

3. There's not enough malt extract. Either the kit is slightly under weight, or there's some waste (sticking to the sides of the container, perhaps).

4. You add too much water. The O.G. is based on a given total starting

Regardless, the goal is not to hit an O.G., it is to make good beer.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
WyomingBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 60

This is most likely your issue, not a real problem. The yeast will get it all mixed up during fermentation. Use the OG posted in the recipe for your calcs.

1. The wort is not well enough mixed, and the sample is slightly less dense than the wort at the bottom of the fermenter. This is nothing to worry about.

Brew What You Drink!

Old 01-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I explain that top off gravity issue here.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

WyomingBrewer Likes This 

Quick Reply