Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > NuWave cooktop for brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Whippy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default NuWave cooktop for brewing?

Hello!

Does anyone here use the Nuwave induction cook top, that is on the infomercials, for stove top brewing?

https://www.nuwavepic.com/

I still actually have no desire to brew outside on the propane burner, but do have problems with stove top brewing. I have damaged an element once and have trouble lifting the full kettle to and from the stove.

I feel that with this portable cook top, I could brew on the floor and eliminate both of these problems. I could also use the temperature settings to help with the mash.

My only concern is that this thing may not stand up to the weight of a batch of beer with grains.

If anyone else has used this and can confirm that it is strong enough to handle beer, I want to order one as soon as I can.

thanks!

Two weeks to ferment, two more in the kegs
but in just one night it was drained to the dregs

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 441

1300 watts is pretty whimpy. What's your boil size?

Old 07-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Dahoov
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
1300 watts is pretty whimpy. What's your boil size?
^^This^^

When we got our stove we selected the pro model with a 3000 watt 12 inch burner so I could still brew in the kitchen. Although I am happy with it I don't think anything less would be sufficient. From mash/sparge temperatures for a boil of 7.5-8 gallons I usually wait about 20 minutes for the boil to get going. I dont set the power below 8 during the boil.

My "Home Draft" Mini Kegerator

Fly safe, soar high, go far...\__________O__________/

Old 07-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
Whippy
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Ahh, I see what you mean! My current coil/conduction stove is 2100w and is barely worthy. My boil size is typically around 5.0 - 5.3 gal starting off, then I top up with sparge wort later in the boil to bring the volume up.

I think I will pass on the idea, thanks. It looks like I am going to need to create my own electric brewing system eventually, if I want to remain indoors.

Thanks for pointing that out, you two!

Two weeks to ferment, two more in the kegs
but in just one night it was drained to the dregs

Old 07-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I use two portable units, one for my mash tun and one for my hot liquor tank. They work great for this purpose. I boil outside with propane.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 07-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
HearthwareBecky
Recipes 

The total recommended weight of a pot filled with liquid atop the NuWave PIC is roughtly 50 lbs. The tempered glass surface will hold 50 lbs safely when the pot diameter is 10". The holding weight depends on the pot size. The holding weight is approximately proportional to the contact area of pot to PIC.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
wick1ert
Recipes 

I came into this same predicament and purchased the BOGO set of these to test. I did a small test of 1 gal water, and it started to boil in about 20 mins. I have a flat surface stove, and the burner I use is the double burner right now. However, I have to keep it on a setting of 8-HI to keep the boil going on 4ish gallons. My concern with using my stovetop for each batch, is that it'll really put a beating on those elements, esp since it was a bright orange color the last time when I was finished, and took at least 30 minutes to cool back down.

The PIC from NuWave is roughly 12" in diameter, but I'm waiting on a new/better pot to use. The one I got with my 5 gal kit has a flimsy bottom that caused it to rock wildly on the stove, so I bought a better one. it has a small indentation on the bottom, so it doesn't seem to fully rest against the burner.

When I do my next batch, I plan to really put this PIC unit to the test and see how it does. My only other option is Propane and burner outside, which I'm not too fond of doing right now.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
BronxBrew
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I would still prefer gas as gas doesn't scorch as bad if at all.

Quick Reply