New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Nut Brown Ale - Dry Hopping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 12:59 AM   #11
dshay
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

I would have to agree I most likely would not use those fruity forward hops with a Brown ale. IMHO it would really clash with what a Brown ale is by style, mostly malty. Although kits are fun to experiment with, so just have fun with it! That is my two cents with those style of hops though for a Brown ale. cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 02:31 AM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3865 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStringBeer View Post
You'd be surprised. Your analogy is a bit flawed as well, as we're not talking about flavours that clash. Ever had a mild/brown ale/porter/stout/whatever else that was well hopped with a hop like Bramling Cross or First Gold? While Amarillo is obviously more fruit, less earth/woods/spice, the flavours still work together just fine.
Actually, I have. I'm not a fan of Bambling cross or of fuggles, but first gold is "ok". Amarillo screams GRAPEFRUIT and I wouldn't like it in a nut brown.

I might like northern brewer, though, in a nut brown, if someone held a gun to my head and said I must dry hop it. Otherwise, I like it better without the dryhops and with all that great malt flavor, and with the carbonate water flavor bringing out the great English hops. I would not ruin such a nice beer by dumping amarillo hops into it.

Amarillo hops and the nut brown ale flavors ARE flavors that will clash. My analogy may not be one you like, but it's a good one.

You can put chili on your spaghetti. And while "interesting", it will not be great. You won't want 5 gallons of it.

The same is true of amarillo hops and a Northern English (nut) brown. You can put all kinds of crap in it. It won't make it better, necessarily, if the flavors clash. And I totally stand by my opinion that amarillo hops and Northern English browns would clash.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:34 AM   #13
SixStringBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Actually, I have. I'm not a fan of Bambling cross or of fuggles, but first gold is "ok".
*faint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Amarillo hops and the nut brown ale flavors ARE flavors that will clash. My analogy may not be one you like, but it's a good one.

You can put chili on your spaghetti. And while "interesting", it will not be great. You won't want 5 gallons of it.
I beg to differ. I have a batch of stout sitting behind me that was hopped with a healthy amount of Amarillo. It works just fine, with the fruity notes in the beer being fig, raisin, and prune rather than grapefruit and orange. I've done N.E. Browns in the past with more than a fair bit of Centennial and never once thought "whoops, guess I made a Cascadian Brown Ale" while drinking them. The idea people have that as soon as American c-hops hit the wort you're going to end up with a grapefruit bomb is just plain wrong; big malty beers hopped with a restrained hand aren't going to magically turn into hop bombs.

Half an ounce of Amarillo dry-hopped in a brown ale for a week isn't going to make the beer smell or taste like grapefruit, guaranteed. I would expect some pleasant hop complexity in the form of a touch of fruitiness and a bit of a floral nose. Nothing more, nothing over-powering, and certainly nothing that clashes. Yea, it would probably be safer to use an English hop for this, but still.

I have a website! Check it out as I slowly but surely work on going pro.

Quick Reply