Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is now the time to brew a pumpkin ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
drathbone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Is now the time to brew a pumpkin ale?

I was looking to brew a pumpkin ale to be ready for the fall. Is now a good time to brew one? How well does the pumpkin flavor/spices taste after a couple months, does it fade or become more pronounced? I'm thinking about maybe doing a porter as a base.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
mountainbrewdude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed mine about one month ago, go ahead and brew it. It needs some time for the flavors to mello out. Porters can be a bit dark for this style, try an amber ale.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

I have one going right now. I just got my keg setup, but the pumpkin ale is going in bottles to age until fall.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
drathbone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainbrewdude View Post
I brewed mine about one month ago, go ahead and brew it. It needs some time for the flavors to mello out. Porters can be a bit dark for this style, try an amber ale.
A bit dark for the style? Pumpkin beer would fall under the specialty category which could use any beer as a base. Currently the only amber I've made didn't come out quite the way I like it. I'm not brewing for a competition either. My simple porter recipe was delicious and has been rather consistent thus far. Rather than experiment and have another beer not come out so great, I've decided a porter would probably go well with the pumpkin flavor/spices. I see lots of pumpkin porter recipes using the term in search.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Yeah, you'd be fine with a porter... but pumpkin beers *typically* use ambers.

Still, if you like your porter, then have at it! I had a porter from one of our local breweries (http://flat12.me/) that tasted like a glazed ham, so if you want yours to taste like pumpkin then I say do it!

Quick Reply