Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Now I'm really confused about cooling wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Tippsy-Turvy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Default Now I'm really confused about cooling wort

Ok, my question is simpy "have I just screwed up?"

The instructions that came with my recipe kit basically recommends putting the hot wort into a sink with ice-water and stir every 15 mins to cool < 80F. It then states that once cooled, aerate like crazy (even pour repeatedly between 2 sanitsed buckets).

However, what I did was add half-frozen bottled water to the wort which only cooled it to ~100F so I panicked and stirred the wort like crazy thinking I could not only cool it asap but also aerate at the same time. Additionally, including putting into the fridge, it must have taken me some 4 hours to finally cool to < 80F!

My worries are, having just read John Palmer's advice on cooling wort he maintains that one should stir gently and "minimize splashing to avoid oxidation" (!) plus that one should cool within 30mins!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

RDWHAHB

It will be fine.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1857 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 1335

Hot wort should be cooled in 20 minutes or less to get little or no chill haze come fridge time. Unless you use irish moss. Also,I put the hot kettle in the sink with just cold water once or twice for a minute or two to cut the high end of the heat a little. Then drain sink,put kettle back in,fill to the top of the sink with ice. Then top that off with cold water. Works a bit faster.

Tippsy-Turvy Likes This 
Old 05-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 82 Posts

Oxidation prior to fermentation is a good thing. Your yeast need oxygen to reproduce! Oxidation after fermentation is a bad thing.

Cooling your wort quickly to pitch temp is important but shouldn't worry you too much for this brew. What you did is fine. Multiple transfer and open vessels increases the chance of picking up an unwanted bacteria, but as long as you cleaned and sanitized everything that touched the wort once it started cooling, you'll be fine. Look into a wort chiller (you can make one for $40) for future beers.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
JRapp
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

It takes me a long time too, Ive stopped stressing out about it after reading some posts on here. Some people just leave their wort overnight to get to room temp and they never have any problems.

Anyway the 1st time I brewed I got it to like 120 and started aerating like crazy thinking it would come down fast. I was drunk and had like 1000 other strikes against me and the beer turned out ok. (just ok.)

For the most part your beer will most likely be just fine, but for next time Ice baths are great. Always have some ice on hand for brew day. Otherwise dont stress too much about bringing down your temp, it wont ruin your beer, but the faster the better.

I plan on getting or making a wort chiller in the next few, Having one or some other awesome means of bringing down the temp would really shorted a brew day.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
seandamnit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

cooling your wort fast isn't THAT important, taste wise. It's my understanding that it just makes a less hazy beer. don't stress.

I like to cool mine fast just so I can finish up a brew day faster and go to bed. A bathtub w/some frozen bottles of water, a little bit of stirring, and some pre-boiled top off water that I chilled in the fridge does the trick fast enough for me.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1857 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 1335

I cool mine down to about 75F,strain into fermenter,then top off with COLD local spring water down to about 64F. Good ale or ale/kolsh yeast temp.

Tippsy-Turvy Likes This 
Old 05-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I've "screwed up" worse than this, and have had beers turn out just fine. In the 2 years I've been brewing, I've only had one batch turn out "bad"... but we still drank it. This whole brewing thing is a learning process... so... invest in a wort chiller. EZPZ mang.

You're fine... I bet you're beer will be damn good too.

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"
Tippsy-Turvy Likes This 
Old 05-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
Tippsy-Turvy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Thanks everyone. Whether the batch turns out badly or not, relaxing can only help! I should chill-out-and-have-a-beer (COHAB).

But for my future attempts, what's the view on John Palmer's comment about not aerating the wort UNTIL it's already cooled else you risk "oxidation"?? I've never seen this concern before browsing thro forums.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter7-4.html

Old 05-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #10
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippsy-Turvy View Post
Thanks everyone. Whether the batch turns out badly or not, relaxing can only help! I should chill-out-and-have-a-beer (COHAB).

But for my future attempts, what's the view on John Palmer's comment about not aerating the wort UNTIL it's already cooled else you risk "oxidation"?? I've never seen this concern before browsing thro forums.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter7-4.html
Preventing oxidation is more so important after fermentation has already begun.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Tippsy-Turvy Likes This 

Quick Reply