Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Nottingham!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 05:40 AM   #1
jmartyg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Nottingham!!!

I picked up a Festa Brew Pale Ale wort bag today. Mainly because I wanted to see what this yeast is all about, since alot of people swear by it. It comes with a pack of it and i'll be washing it after the primary. Second reason was because half my friends are Keiths IPA fans. The Festa WC IPA was lacking this year compared to last, so i have to satisfy my non lager friends.

so, hopefuly i'll have a stock of nottingham to go with my S-23 and take upmore fridge space.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
yeoldebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So happens I brewed a 5 gallon extract batch of brown ale just last night and pitched with Nottingham's. I remembered to aerate the wort (for once) and pitched 2 packages without mixing. I did rock the fermenter gently about 2 hours after pitching. The wort was 65-68 degrees at pitching. OG measured 1.06

FWIW, slow airlock activity was obvious within four hours. 22 hours into the brew, I have moderately vigorous activity.

The proof will be in the pudding, of course.

My only concern is fermentation temps. Specs list the maximum at 70 deg F. Room temp is 68 deg., but the fermenter is 72 degrees indicated and probably warmer inside. I hope this yeast is of the forgiving kind.

My airlock passes gas.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I haven't personally used Nottingham, but from what I gather it's a very vigorous strain (ie: it can tolerate a fair deal of abuse).

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Quick Reply