Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Nottingham at 72*

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
ChandlerBang
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Nottingham at 72*

Is that toooooo hot? I just did a 10 gallon batch of an apple graff/cider/beer (it has malt and hops so technically it is a beer I think). I split the batch in half and tossed Red Star Champagne yeast in one bucket and Notty in the other. Turns out my basement isn't a cool 65* like I thought since it's been pretty damn hot here lately, but more like 72*. The Red Star should be fine, but I'm worried the Notty is going to put off some bad mojo with 5 gallons of 1.075 OG to pound through. Fruity aromas aren't the concern so much as fusel alcohols and such.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 04:54 AM   #2
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

In the past (read: before I had temp control) I had Notty up to 75 or so a few times. I had a couple brews get a slight lemony/citrus tartness after fermenting around 72, and one get some weird phenolic behavior at around 75. Never noticed much in the way of fusels fermenting in that range, but all my beers were 1.060 or less. I would say at 72 you're on the edge of my comfort range- you might want to look at a tub with some iced water bottles or some other ghetto temp control.

Good luck!

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 06-22-2011, 04:56 AM   #3
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 15

i ferment in a "ghetto" ice-water tub, as dwarven stout calls it, but like he says, 72 is about the top of the range. notty is usually close to ok till about 75

Taps:
1: Honey Malt APA
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Skeeter Pee

Fermenting: Hoegarden Saison, German Pilsner

Old 06-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
vegas20s
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I was researching doing a cider with notty and and was wondering about hi temps. Some brought up something I hadn't thought about. Hi temps = fruity esters. Fruity should go well with the cider part of your beer. Also you might not even get any fruitiness at 72.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
scotched
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If it's 72 in the basement I'd bet that your graff is a few degrees warmer. I kept a swamp bathed apple graff at around 74F and it still produced some weird alcoholic aftertastes and a hot "nose".

My first Nottingham batch at a controlled 65F had none of those tastes.

Fermenting: Edwort's Wounded Knee IPA (no-chill), XH Limeade #3
Serving:
nada

Old 06-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerBang View Post
Is that toooooo hot? I just did a 10 gallon batch of an apple graff/cider/beer (it has malt and hops so technically it is a beer I think). I split the batch in half and tossed Red Star Champagne yeast in one bucket and Notty in the other. Turns out my basement isn't a cool 65* like I thought since it's been pretty damn hot here lately, but more like 72*. The Red Star should be fine, but I'm worried the Notty is going to put off some bad mojo with 5 gallons of 1.075 OG to pound through. Fruity aromas aren't the concern so much as fusel alcohols and such.

Thoughts?
I Normally ferment my notti anywhere between 55-80 depending on the season, and even at 80 i have yet to get anything weird from notti and no detectable fusals either, but then again i do not have sensitive taste buds....

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #7
Boy
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Bad experience with Notty over 70. Hot alcohol and banana runt aroma. Especially for a 10 gallon batch I would now keep the fermenter in a tub of water.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
drathbone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just tasted mine that's been around 72-75 for 4 weeks. Taste great, no complaints.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
ChandlerBang
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The mixed results reassure me a bit. I almost drug my swamp cooler down there but decided screw it we'll see what happens. And only 5 gallons have the Notty. The other 5 gallons got Champagne yeast that is supposed to be good up to 84*. I think the basement has cooled down because the next morning the stick on thermometer were reading 72. So I'm hoping The actual fermentation didn't get over 72*
I was planning on dropping this in a carboy and forgetting about it for a couple months anyway.... So there will be time for some imperfections to age out.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
realjd
Recipes 

I used Notthingham on my last batch and fermented it low 70's. It had a bit of a fruit/citrus/tart aftertaste but it didn't ruin the batch by any means. And an extra 4 weeks in the bottles has really mellowed it out.

Visit DotyBrew, my blog documenting my adventures as a novice homebrewer

Quick Reply