Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Nothing that can kill you can grow in your beer...
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 05:48 AM   #101
DannyD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Polokwane, Limpopo
Posts: 420
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yeah, but we know there's an even greater threat in our beer, the dreaded dihydrogen monoxide.

but serously if heard of people killed by this!!!!!! NEVER underestimate the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide. Here in south africa things are so bad its basicaly raining the "stuff"

Bwhaaaaahhaaaa.....good one, took me a minute, but good one!!!
__________________
DannyD is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #102
homebrewdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 3,075
Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtk6006 View Post
If pathogens dont grow on beer or in tell me this. Why do we sanitize everything? Why even bother?
Because wild yeasts and other microbes can grow in your beer and ruin the flavor/character before it can properly ferment if you fail to sanitize properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtk6006 View Post
And another thing when theres 5 people say one thing and 5000 say something else Who am i supposed to believe? Like i said why wouldnt i question something? Thats not being closed minded like others keep spewing like a bad night in mexico! If i dont question things then what? I might as well throw caution and start eating off the sidewalk.
Questioning is awesome. Not reading the links given, then holding an opinion in the face of scientific fact (with no evidence to support your hunches) is not.
__________________
Homebrew Dad - blogging about making my own beer and raising a lot of kids.
Check out the priming sugar calculator and the beer calorie calculator.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale
homebrewdad is offline
BamaRooster Likes This 
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #103
BamaRooster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Glade Spring, Virginia
Posts: 509
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
Because wild yeasts and other microbes can grow in your beer and ruin the flavor/character before it can properly ferment if you fail to sanitize properly.



Questioning is awesome. Not reading the links given, then holding an opinion in the face of scientific fact (with no evidence to support your hunches) is not.
+1 on this response
__________________
wait....what do you mean all the beer is gone!
BamaRooster is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #104
LTownLiquorPig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lawrencetown, Nova Scotia
Posts: 483
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
Questioning is awesome. Not reading the links given, then holding an opinion in the face of scientific fact (with no evidence to support your hunches) is not.
You leave your American style partisan politics outta this! This is a beer forum!
__________________

Don't even break it out if you ain't gonna share.

LTownLiquorPig is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #105
brushvalleybrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Centre Hall, Pennsylvania
Posts: 82
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtk6006 View Post
If pathogens dont grow on beer or in tell me this. Why do we sanitize everything? Why even bother?
Pathogens are infectious agents that cause disease in the host.

Spoilage organisms, on the other hand, cause off-flavors in your beer.

Acetobacter is a spoilage organism that will cause your beer to taste like vinegar.

If you have acetobacter bacteria on your carboy, and you sanitize it, you will kill the acetobacter bacteria and they will not spoil your beer.

Acetobacter is not a pathogen and many people eat vinegar regularly without getting sick and dying.

There are other examples, as well.
__________________

In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

brushvalleybrewer is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #106
mtk6006
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: boiling springs, sc
Posts: 240
Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

I do read the links forgive me if i miss one or two its kinda hard to keep up with everything b/c as soon as i type something 15 post have happened. Im not reading something that there girlfriends sisters mother father uncle said. I wanna here it from people that have had first hand experience and be able to trust that they are telling me the truth. And i know what your thinking as soon as i said that "why would i lie?" Well i personally dont know you people Have to see it from my perspective too. Road goes both ways. I can post any link or say anything that dont make it true. Just like the whole sulfur thing "YEAH YEAH NOT THIS AGAIN!" Some said dunkel smell like that others say no. What am i supposed to do with that? Either someone is doing something wrong or right. Let me ask ya this take two same beers one smelly ones not which one would you grab? 9 times out of 10 im betting the non smelly beer correct? What about growth too. Would you grab the beer with fuzz or the one without? If you say with fuzz and or smell well i just dont understand that. I want my beer to look and smell great!

I drink apple cider vinegar for ingestion(b/c those lil pieces of chalk GAG ME!) and it works great yeah i hear ya on the vinegar thing.

__________________
mtk6006 is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #107
DWavs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Middletown, Virginia
Posts: 197
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtk6006 View Post
I do read the links forgive me if i miss one or two its kinda hard to keep up with everything b/c as soon as i type something 15 post have happened. Im not reading something that there girlfriends sisters mother father uncle said. I wanna here it from people that have had first hand experience and be able to trust that they are telling me the truth. And i know what your thinking as soon as i said that "why would i lie?" Well i personally dont know you people Have to see it from my perspective too. Road goes both ways. I can post any link or say anything that dont make it true. Just like the whole sulfur thing "YEAH YEAH NOT THIS AGAIN!" Some said dunkel smell like that others say no. What am i supposed to do with that? Either someone is doing something wrong or right. Let me ask ya this take two same beers one smelly ones not which one would you grab? 9 times out of 10 im betting the non smelly beer correct? What about growth too. Would you grab the beer with fuzz or the one without? If you say with fuzz and or smell well i just dont understand that. I want my beer to look and smell great!

I drink apple cider vinegar for ingestion(b/c those lil pieces of chalk GAG ME!) and it works great yeah i hear ya on the vinegar thing.
Revvy gave you links that have nothing to do with someone's girlfriends sisters mother father uncle stating it. I would imagine that is why people keep calling you out.

I am also curious about where these 5000 people are that you keep referring to that disagree with science?
__________________
DWavs is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #108
DWavs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Middletown, Virginia
Posts: 197
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default

As someone else stated, if I were a Mod I would be concerned that a beginner might take away some false information from this thread.

__________________
DWavs is offline
KrazyKajun Likes This 
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #109
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,061
Liked 4471 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Default

This is like a bunch of third graders arguing.

Enough.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
KrazyKajun Likes This 
Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do hops grow in Texas? MESmith Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 08-01-2011 02:04 AM
After 3 weeks of waiting, did I just kill my beer while racking? KellariKalja Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 06-18-2011 06:42 PM
Grow your own beer GRHunter Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 06-01-2010 08:07 PM
Did I kill my beer? pivey730 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 04-09-2010 08:15 AM
did I kill my beer ? taelmore Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 09-11-2008 09:51 AM