Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Not your average carb question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Nick4228
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Not your average carb question

I'm sorry if you all find this as a repeated question, but in all my searching i couldn't find a good answer. About 6 months ago I made a barleywine, started out about 1.200 ended up about 1.039 (I know a bit high... but i went with it...). Anyways, I tried some over the weekend, it tasted good, but was flat, no carbonation. I figure after 6 months is should be carbonated, so I'm assuming the yeast wasn't all that healthy, if living at all when I bottled. So I want to carbonate it. Assuming its never been carbonated, it's probably still primed, so can i just empty all the bottles into a bucket, add some dry yeast (beer or wine) and just rebottle it and carb it that way, or is there a better way to go about it?

Thanks ahead of time

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 186

Are you sure the SG/OG was 1.200?? That would put you in the range of a 21% ABV beer

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 11-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Nick4228
Recipes 

Fat fingers and a smart phone don't mix....1.120... about 11%...

Old 11-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Im no expert but I would just make sure the yeast you pitch can handle the high alcohol level.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
bomberman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Maybe just opening the bottles and dropping a small amount of yeast into each would be a better idea. six months sounds like a long time but I've heard that big beers often take that or longer to carb up.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
Nick4228
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberman
Maybe just opening the bottles and dropping a small amount of yeast into each would be a better idea. six months sounds like a long time but I've heard that big beers often take that or longer to carb up.
I thought of that as well, but it seems more difficult to be precise..."a small amount" doesn't seem exact enough... if I get it all in a bucket, I can see the total volume, then calculate how much yeast to use for the entire batch, mix it in, then divide it out again into bottles...

Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick4228 View Post
I thought of that as well, but it seems more difficult to be precise..."a small amount" doesn't seem exact enough... if I get it all in a bucket, I can see the total volume, then calculate how much yeast to use for the entire batch, mix it in, then divide it out again into bottles...
Would not doing that risk oxidizing the beer?

Old 11-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
remman4
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

yeah, I wouldn't try to transfer all of it to another container far too much work

I would either let it continue to sit as is or dose each bottle with a small amount of champagne yeast or other high alcohol tolerant yeast

or to do a real experiment you can try different approaches on a portion of the bottles and then report back which worked the best!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

rehydrate said yeast in water (or use liquid) in a sanitized container, get a children's medicine dropper with ML gradients like this,

Sanitize it, open beer bottle, suck up slurry into sanitized eyedropper, squirt 1 ml of yeast into bottle, then re-cap. Give the bottles a shake, and then walk away for another 2-3 weeks to give that yeast a chance to do the job.

Is that "precise" enough for you?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
WIMARIPA
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Do you think using a different yeast, such as champagne yeast, might ferment some of the residual sugars and cause bottle bombs?

Quick Reply